Erddig Carrot Soup

Tuesday 17 August 2010



My husband and I have been members of the National Trust for about 10 years now. We both just love visiting historical homes and gardens so it has always been worth it to us. A yearly membership works out a lot cheaper than having to pay entrance fees each time we visit one of the National Trust places.



We recently visited Erddig, which is near Wrexham in Wales. "Widely acclaimed as one of Britain's finest historic houses, Erddig is a fascinating yet unpretentious early 18th-century country house reflecting the upstairs downstairs life of a gentry family over 250 years.

We both thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this great historical home. We found it quite astonishing that the orignal owner of the Estate was simply a "Mr" and not a person of noble birth. Judging by everything that was on this property, he was one very wealthy individual, and one could tell by all of the photographs and paintings that, although they had lots of money and servants, their servants were very much cared for and well treated.



We spent a wonderful day there exploring all the nooks and crannies and the beautiful gardens. So much so, that we plan on going back again soon. There was so much still left to explore, and one visit just didn't do it enough justice.



One of the things we both look forward to when we are visiting these places is having a light lunch in the cafes that are, in most cases, right on the grounds. Lovely little places where you can get everything from soup to nuts . . . always very tasty stuff!

We shared a delicious cheese and onion sandwich and some hot cocoa the day we were there, but right next to the cash register in the cafe was a little leaflet for sale,, containing some of the recipes from Erddig House, dating back to the 1700's.



It was only a pound, so how could I resist!! Of course I had to pick it up!

That night I made us the carrot soup for our tea from the leaflet, and let me tell you . . . it was the MOST delicious carrot soup I have ever, ever eaten! It should have served at least 4 people but Todd and I polished it off between the two of us. NOT A PROBLEM! It was rich and creamy and had the most wonderful flavour. Carrots, potatoes, celery, turnips, onions and lettuce . . . a delicious combination of simple garden fresh ingredients!

This is now our 'alltime' favourite soup.



*Erddig Carrot Soup*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

Taken from a 'Receipt Book 1765', the second oldest Erddig cookery book.

2 ounces butter
2 large onions
2 large potatoes
2 pounds carrots
1/2 pound turnips
1/2 head celery
1/4 lettuce
3 1/2 pints (about 7 cups) vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

Peel and chop all of the vegetables. Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the onion and saute until golden. Add the potatoes and stir well. Add the remainder of the vegetables and the stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer until all the vegetables are tender. Liquidise. Check for seasoning and adjust as necessary.



I also baked up some very delicious Cheese Scones to have with the soup. They went down a real treat!! You can find the recipe HERE.

16 comments

  1. Two of my all time favorites, carrot soup and historic houses. I have to put both on my to-do list. The carrot soup is a definite for this winter and the house goes on the list for my fantasy trip to England. Hope to visit in two years. May not make it so soon, but love the planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find, the cookbook and the great carrot soup recipe. I remember visiting several old estates while traveling through England. These houses are so full of history and the gardens are so well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely -- both the food and the story about the house. I love big old houses and the history behind them as well. Have only been to the UK once, but will be there this coming Oct. Can't wait. Would love to try that soup as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've discovered carrot soup a while back and it's also one of my faves....carrots love a pinch of sugar in the soup it's undetectable but it bring out the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that looks wonderful, Marie! I'll be trying this VERY soon! I really love historical recipes, so this will be a great one to add to my collection.

    Hope you're having a beautiful day, dear friend...how's your new pup?

    Much love sent your way today...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Una sopa rica y encima de zanahoria, no la conocía. Me la apunto. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this does sound VERY good, Marie! Nothing like a tasty, vibrant carrot soup for comfort--and with cheese scones too...mm... I can't wait to try this one. It seems great for autumn days soon ahead! :o) Happy Day, my friend--LOVE YOU LOTS ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Marie, what a wonderful day- I love visiting those homes!! And the soup looks spectacular!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. that soup looks great!! and visiting historical homes sounds just perfect as I love looking at that stuff as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I so enjoyed the visit and the soup looks and sound delicious! Marie, I have been a fan of your blog for some time and just today awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award...Your blog certainly qualifies... I don't think I could possibly find another food blog that offers as much as yours does! You may choose to accept or not. either way, I enjoyed giving you a shout out and will return again for your wonderful recipes and walks around England!
    Dandelion Wishes,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM. Let me say that again, this time with more emphasis: YUM!!
    Marie, this soup and the accompanying scones sound heavenly. What a perfect combination, too. I am making a note of these two recipes right now. Very lovely post and wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great day out you had Marie. And that carrot soup looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am curious if you get good turnips this time of the year. Ours are old, moldy shriveled things ---we have to wait to get good ones till later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our turnips are fine Kim. I actually use Swede, also called Rutabaga, which is an orange fleshed turnip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this soup at the weekend for the family and they all loved it. It's the best carrot soup I've ever tasted and is sure to become a favourite in my house too. I also loved the story about the house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely surprise to see Erddig House featured on your blog, as I live just a few miles from there and have visited on many occasions! The family who lived there, the Yorkes, were well respected by the local people of Wrexham. The last of the family, Mr. Simon Yorke, died without an heir, and the house was left to the National Trust. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit there. Jeannette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!