Marie Helene's Apple Cake, French Fridays With Dorie

Friday 29 October 2010




Bonjours mes amis encore! I know this is The English Kitchen, but it's Friday and that means it's French Fridays with Dorie day! That fun cooking club created around the release of Dorie Greenspan's newest book, entitled Around My French Table. Each Friday we all cook the same recipe from the book!

I was really pleased that this week's recipe was an apple cake, Marie Helene's Apple Cake to be specific!



Oh what a lovely cake this was . . . and so very easy to make. It went together lickety split.



The end result being a deliciously buttery cake which was more apple than cake, and oh so scrummy!!



With the first mouthful I was 6 years old and sitting in my Canadian Grandmaman's kitchen again . . . very nostalgic.



I used a variety of apples . . . Golden Russet, Crispin, Granny Smith and Pink Lady, which Dorie had suggested as the different apples would give different textures with every mouthful. I loved that the apple was left quite chunky in this as well.



I already had something cooking in my teensy weensy gas oven so I ended up cooking this cake in my microwave/convection oven on the convection setting and it turned out perfect! I didn't have a spring form pan, so I baked it in a 9 inch cake tin with a removeable bottom with no problems at all.



This went down a real treat, warm and with a dollop of clotted cream gilding the top. To quote Todd . . . "This is nice . . . very nice."



Thanks Dorie for another brilliant recipe. If you'd like to see how the rest turned out, pop on over to French Fridays with Dorie. This was fabulous, but don't take my word for it. Buy the book and find out for yourselves! It's worth every penny! Trust me on this!

Not sure what next week's recipe is, but it's bound to be tres tres delicious!

12 comments

  1. Beautiful photos...your cake looks Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im here from FFwD !!
    Loved and enjoyed this bake and can see how pretty u have one here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've joined..what a fun thing..I'll be watching you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am learning that the best recipes to learn, cook, blog about are the very simple ones that would otherwise get past up in the blogosphere. This was just so perfect for so many reasons, don't you think? Your looks just beautiful! Clotted cream sounds perfect for this! Wish we could get it!
    Trevor Sis Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. How moist your cake looks. I've never used a micro/convection over but it obviously works great. The cream looks amazing. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos say it all. I bet you could have made a living out of being a food photographer and cooking for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh that last picture with the icecream on the cake has me drooling! Your cake looks so moist and delicious!
    I love your blog and your cooking experinces in England! Im glad the food turned out to be OK after all!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Or I should say, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. perfect way to describe this cake's preparation....likety split.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of apple cake! I'll be trying this one out soon too lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clotted cream - that really would be perfect with this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your cake turned out beautifully! I could not believe how easy it was & how good it was. I'm anxious to try your Almond Cake recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!