One Pot Chicken and Rice

Tuesday 27 March 2012



When my veggie box came this week, there were two lovely big and fat red peppers inside, amongst other things of course! I have always loved the flavours of peppers . . . raw and with dips, sliced and sauteed and in omelets (I like to use more than one colour in these), sliced and sauteed with beef strips to make pepper steak . . . the possiblities are endless. I never run out of ideas on how to use them!



I have found in these recent years though, that my digestive system can't handle the green ones anymore. I am burping them up for hours after eating them, so I don't. Eat them that is . . . (I know! TMI!!)



I was thinking that I would stuff these ones with a tasty vegetarian stuffing. I spent a few hours going through my recipe collection. I easily have several hundred cook books (Todd would say more like a thousand, but he is slightly prone to exaggeration when it comes to cook books.) I also have a nice collection of recipe cards, that I collected over the years from the local Waitrose store when we lived down south.



They used to put out several free recipe cards every month, all filled with tasty recipes using local and seasonal foods. This one looked especially delicious and easy, and like something we both would like. It's kind of like stuffed peppers, except the stuffing is on the outside, and there's chicken too . . . which would satisify my meat and two veg husband, the Toddster.

Chicken, peppers and rice are truly an unbeatable combination, don't you think??



*One Pot Chicken and Rice*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Delicious, easy, impressive and filled with wonderful Spanish flavours like smoked paprika, peppers and tomatoes. Taken from a Waitrose Recipe card from a few years back. We loved this.

1 TBS olive oil
800g of Chicken thighs (8 good sized thighs)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 fat cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
250g Bomba Paella Rice (19 TBS)
75ml dry white wine (2 1/2 fluid ounces)
400ml of chicken stock (generous 14 fluid ounces)
chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish



Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Heat the oil in a large oven proof deep skillet or saute pan. Add the chicken and brown for 10 to 12 minutes until golden on all sides. Remove and set aside. Pour off all but 1 TBS of the fat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring until soft and golden. Stir in the tomatoes, paprika, and rice. Coat in the oil. Add the wine and stock. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until the rice is no longer soupy, but not dry. Sit the chicken thighs on top of the rice, cover and transfer the pan to the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chicken juices run clear and the rice is tender. Fork through the rice and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve.

4 comments

  1. Oh, this looks sooo good--very nice for an easy weekend meal! :o) Happy Day, Marie ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice, Marie. I'm hungry. Think I'll try this with my chicken in the freezer tomorrow. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was dinner tonight! I loved that you did part prep on the stove top, then could put it in the oven to finish the cooking while you could clear up, set the table etc. Those kind of meals always appeal to me.

    I had to use Arborio Rice as they don't sell paella rice here, but it seemed to work well. I loved the smoked paprika in the dish - it added a lovely rich, smoky taste and lifted the taste of the bell peppers. It's a delicious, no fuss dish that we both enjoyed. Yet another thumbs up meal from The English Kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so pleased you cooked this Marie! I love that you are trying some of my older recipes and enjoying them! That really makes me happy! It really does. Thank you so much! I loved the smoked paprika too! I haven’t made this in such a long time! You have reminded me of it! Must put it on my list to make when I get into my own place! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!