Spicy Turkey Burgers

Thursday 29 March 2012



When I worked down South as a personal Chef, I think I must have cooked these delicious burgers at least once every week for the Lady of the Manor . . . seriously. I never really tasted them myself . . . but I knew that they smelled out of this world while they were cooking and the family seemed to really enjoy them . . . hence my need to make them every week.



That's seven and a half years of Turkey Burgers, once a week . . . add it all up and it amounts to one heck of a lot of juicy and tasty turkey burgers!!



I can't believe that until today, in the two years since I left the Manor . . . I have not cooked them even once! I had always planned to, but always got home after shopping, having forgotten the coriander or some other crucial ingredient.



Today, I didn't forget anything and tonight I finally cooked them. My goodness, but they are truly delicious! Moist and spicy, with just a touch of heat. I use a very mild chili powder . . . as I don't like a lot of heat, but you can adjust the heat up or down as you wish.



With some spicy oven baked potato wedges this made a delicious supper that we ate Al Fresco . . . enjoying this sunny weather while we can. I'm really happy that I finally was able to make them and to see what all the fuss was about. I can tell you I won't be waiting two years to make them again! (I think these would be fabulous with corn relish as well!)



*Spicy Turkey Burgers*
Makes 4 servings

These can be as spicy or not, as you like them. Simply adjust the amount of chili powder. I prefer to use a very mild chili powder myself and on most days would not add the full teaspoon.

1 1/2 pounds of ground turkey, at room temperature
3 TBS finely chopped fresh coriander
1 spring onion, both green and white parts, chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp chili powder (you can use mild or ancho or whatever strength of chili powder floats your boat)
1 tsps fine sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
a pinch of ground cinnamon
non stick cooking spray for the pan

To serve:
toasted burger buns
guacamole (your own homemade, or a good quality store brand)
1 large beefsteak tomato, sliced thickly
some lettuce leaves
finely sliced red onions

Place your ground turkey into a bowl. Add the coriander, spring onion, garlic, chili powder, sea salt, black pepper, ground cumin, ground coriander and ground cinnamon. Mix all in well with your hands. Shape into 4 equal sized round patties, making a gentle dip in the centre of each. (For some reason this helps them not to shrink as much and keeps them thinner so they are not as bulky in the bun.)

Spray a non stick skillet with cooking spray and brown the patties on both sides over medium heat, taking about 5 to 6 minutes per side and cooking until they are cooked through. Try not to mash them down with the spatula too much as this only forces the juiciness out of the burger.

Once cooked through, spread the bottom halves of the toasted buns with some guacamole. Top with some sliced red onions and the cooked burgers. Top the other half of the bun with some lettuce leaves and sliced tomato. Serve immediately and enjoy!

4 comments

  1. dear look absolutely delicios and temting, love turkey burgers, have a nice day dear Marie! !blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...they look good. I love a good burger! Thanks Marie for a lovely recipe as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I can't imagine cooking these yummy burgers and not having one!I'm so glad they lived up to your expectations, they sound very good! I'm glad your weather is so lovely, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...sounds like something right up my alley! I always have these ingredients on hand! Hmm....and maybe gild the lily a bit with a slice or two of some applewood smoked bacon... :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!