Sweet and Sour Chicken Wraps

Thursday 8 March 2012



Back home I used to love to go to the local Chinese restaurant in town on occasion for a special meal. The owners were friends of my parents and had been for years. You order by a number. I always ordered a number 4. Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls, Beef and Broccoli, Egg Fried Rice and an Egg Roll. It was my favourite meal. I have tried to make my own Beef and Broccoli at home before, but it never tastes the same. I don't know why.



This restaurant used to be called the Shaker Restaurant when I was a teen . . . and it was where we used to hang out after school drinking cokes and eating chips. It had those quaint booths and all . . . it was the place to go if you wanted to check out all the hunkaroonies in the town. Anyways . . . I digress!!



Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls. Love them . . . but they're not all that good for you are they? Dipped in batter and deep fried . . . tsk tsk. Very naughty, but totally delicious.

These lovely wraps are a way of fulfilling the craving you might have for Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls . . . except nothing is deep fried and they're quite healthy. You simply make the sauce and pour it over the chicken filets (tenders) and then bake them in the oven until the sauce thickens and gets all sweet and sour scrummy.



I cheat and use one of those pouches of ready cooked basamati rice, the two serving size . . . it stretches easily to help fill at least 4 wraps, if not more.



Of course you could just have that delicious chicken on it's own as a main course with some rice and vegetables . . . it's just as tasty that way . . . but these wraps are extra delish . . . a bit of crunch from the fresh lettuce . . . that tender sweet and sour chicken . . . some tasty rice . . . layered together and wrapped up in a warm whole wheat tortilla!



Wowsa . . . wowsa!! Dey be mighty good if I don't say so myself. I think I sometimes come up with the most delicious ideas, don't you? And it's even better when they are kinda, sorta . . . healthy!!



*Sweet and Sour Chicken Wraps*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

These are one of the best things I've eaten lately. Toasty warm wheat tortillas wrapped around sweet and sour chicken tenders, lettuce and chinese rice. Yummo! Plan ahead as the chicken needs to cook for about 1 hour before you make the wraps.

For the chicken:
1 400g pack of chicken mini fillets (tenders You will need 2 to 3 per person)
garlic salt
black pepper
2 TBS corn flour (cornstarch)
125ml of white vinegar (1/2 cup)
145g sugar (3/4 cup)
125ml of chicken broth (1/2 cup)
4 TBS tomato ketchup
1 TBS dark soy sauce

To finish:
1 pouch of cooked oriental stir fry basamati rice (2 serving size)
1/2 small head of lettuce, shredded (about 2 cups)
4 large whole wheat tortillas

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Place the chicken filet pieces into a shallow baking dish. Dust with garlic salt and black pepper. Whisk together the cornflour, sugar, vinegar, broth, ketchup and soy sauce. Pour this mixture over the chicken pieces, and stir to coat. Bake in the preheated oven until very tender and glazed. The sauce will be nice and thick. Take out of the oven and proceed as follows.

Heat the pouch of rice in the microwave according to package directions. Set aside.

Heat 4 tortillas in the microwave as per package directions. Lay each on a heated plate. Place 1/4 of the lettuce down the middle of each heated tortilla. Top with 1/4 of the pouch of heated rice and then with 2 or 3 glazed chicken tenders. Close each wrap and serve immediately.

PSSSTT!! The winner of the Cillit Bang All in One Cleaner is commentor number 4 as chosen by a random number generator. (Sorry don't know how to post a picture of that, or even take one.) Gil you are the winner. If you could e-mail me your details I'll make sure they get one out to you as soon as! Thanks all for entering. Wish I could give one to each of you!

4 comments

  1. your description alone would sell these Marie, yum! We have the Hong Kong resturant here sounds just like yours from your town!
    I forgot to mention how i love the painting of the sunshine balloon girl, thats the cutest, (I say that everytime I know) have the best day Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when you talk about "back home" and the food there, Marie! And I really like this recipe... the sauce sounds much simpler than I first imagines... YUM! :o) ((LOVE & HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Hunkaroonies' Marie I'm shocked! ;)

    Before I digress myself these sound delicious. I love sweet and sour chicken wings, but have never tried making these wraps myself...I'm going to give them a go this weekend though.
    Have a fun weekend ~ Enjoy :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, This looks great. I'm going to make it tomorrow night. Do you remember about how long you cooked the chicken? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!