Winter Fruit Salad with a Lemon and Poppy Seed Dressing

Wednesday 7 March 2012



Even though we have had a fairly mild winter this year . . . I still find myself longing for the salad days of summer . . . there are some days when stodge just doesn't cut the mustard. I want lettuce, and I want it now!



I love fresh salads made with lovely fresh tomatoes and other salad vegetables, but in truth . . . the tomatoes at this time of year are decidedly anemic looking and tasting! There is no salvaging them!!



Instead I choose to use fresh fruit. It adds beautiful colour, texture and flavours to my salad. eating apples and pears . . . the fruits of winter . . . along with some sweetly chewy dried cranberries, little jewels of colour . . .



Tossed together with some lovely cos lettuce . . . crisp and crunchy and slightly bitter . . . just perfect with the sweetness of the fruit . . .



Crunchy salty roasted cashew nuts . . . Creamy sweet nutty emmenthal cheese . . .
And a sweet and sour lemon and poppy seed dressing . . . homemade of course! You get the tartness of the lemon combined with the sweetness of sugar . . . a little bite from some grated onion and the crunch of poppy seeds.



Oh, my . . . this is some good, and does the trick. I am happy . . . for now . . .



*Winter Fruit Salad with a Lemon and Poppy Seed Dressing*
Serves 6 to 8
Printable Recipe

A perfect blend of crunchy cos lettuce, sweet apples, pears and cranberries, salty cashew nuts and nutty emmenthal cheese, swathed in a tangy lemon and poppy seed dressing. Delicious!

1 pound of cos lettuce hearts, washed, dried and torn into bits
(Romaine lettuce, 16 ounces)
6 ounces emmenthal cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler (Swiss cheese)
150g of roasted salted cashew nuts (1 cup)
75g of sweetened dried cranberries (1/2 cup)
1 large eating apple, washed, cored and thinly sliced
1 large ripe pear, washed, cored and thinly sliced

For the Dressing:
95g of white sugar (1/2 cup)
125ml fresh lemon juice (1/2 cup)
2 tsp finely grated onion
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
150ml of salad oil (2/3 cup)
1 TBS poppy seeds
(This will make more dressing than you need, but you can store it in the refrigerator and
use it for other salads.)

To make the dressing, shake all of the dressing ingredients together in a large jar until emulsified. Set aside.

Toss the lettuce, cheese, nuts, cranberries, apple slices and pear slices together in a bowl. Divide amongst chilled serving plates. Give the dressing a good shake again and drizzle some of the dressing over the salads. Pass remaining dressing so that people can top it up as need be on their own salads.

9 comments

  1. Marie, That looks yummy and healthy. Enno and I are eating lots of salads in Texas. The weather here is getting warm, 70*'s.
    xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE salads, at any time of the year and that looks so fresh and vibrant, just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm yum! This salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may just make this this week--looks great and I love this in this time of the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the perfect salad to accompany my dinner tonight. The dressing sounds especially tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look amazing!! Marie I love salads dear!! xoxoxoxo send you huggs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always looking
    for new and yummy
    salads and am just
    getting into making
    my own, fresh salad
    dressing. The stuff
    from the stores is
    filled with so many
    ingredients that are
    foreign to me! That
    can't be good! Thanks
    for this lovely; can't
    wait to try it....

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog and recipes, but the background makes it very hard to read, thought you would want to know this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Vintage to Chic. All of the writing on this blog appears on a completely white background which is overlaid on top of a patterened background. Perhaps you are not giving the page enough time to load? I don't know. I've tried asking the designer of my page what I can do to help you, but have had not response. Maybe it is a setting on your browser? I'm not sure! Sorry I cannot be of more help. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!