The World's best Banana, Chocolate Chip and Oat Streusel Muffins

Wednesday 21 March 2012



Now, I am not a person that will normally sit down and just eat a banana. They are not my favourite fruits to eat in that way . . . although once in a while I do crave some sliced banana on my rice crispies in the morning, or in a banana cream pie . . . but that is about the only way you will ever see me eating a banana . . . oh yeh, I'll eat them sliced with warm custard or cold ice cream as well . . . but I promise, that's IT!



I do love, however . . . baked goodies made with banana . . . banana loaf, banana cookies, banana muffins, banana cake . . . and . . . the blacker the banana the better (in my opinion) for these lovely treats! In fact Todd often curls his nose up in digust when he sees the bananas that I use for my baked goodies . . . however, once they are done, I have never seen him turn his nose up at the finished product! Ahem . . .



I had some real doozies today, black as black as could be on the outside. One might almost have been tempted to pitch them into the bin . . . but I knew they would be perfect for baking with and so I baked some scrummy Banana Muffins for our elevenses.



Not just Banana Muffins though . . . moist banana muffins, crammed full of lovely milk chocolate chips . . . but I didn't stop there . . . no, no . . . I didn't stop there.



I topped them with an incredibly scrummy topping of an oat and brown sugar, buttery streusel, lightly flavoured with ground cinnamon.



Oh my . . . these are the best, the ABSOLUTE best, if I don't say so myself.



But don't take my word for it. Bake some for yourself. You'll see that I am quite . . . simply . . . right, once again! From the infamous Big Blue Binder . . . Banana Chocolate Chip and Oat Streusel Muffins.



*Banana Chocolate Chip and Oat Streusel Muffins*
Makes 10 medium muffinsLinkPrintable Recipe

Moist and delicious, stogged full of chocolate chips, with a moreish oaty brown sugar topping!

For the muffins:
190g plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 medium over ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
150g of golden caster sugar
1 large free range egg, beaten
75g of butter, melted (1/3 cup)
7 ounces milk chocolate chips (about a cup)

For the topping:
75g of soft light brown sugar (1/3 cup packed)
2 TBS plain flour
40g old fashioned large flaked oats (1/2 cup)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 TBS butter

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5. Line 10 muffin cups with paper liners or butter really well. Set aside.

Whisk the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and golden caster sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips. Whisk the mashed banana, egg and butter together.

Make the topping by rubbing the flour, cinnamon and sugar together with the butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Stir in the oats.

Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture, mixing only until the dry ingredients are evenly moistened. Divide equally amongst the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaped tsp of streusel topping over each. (You will have more than you need most likely, but put the rest in a small container in the freezer for another day.)

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre of one comes out clean. Let sit in the pan for 5 minutes, then tip out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.

You do KNOW of course, that adding oats to something automatically makes it good for you. Tis true. Tis wisdom according to Marie. ☺

7 comments

  1. I have been enjoying your cooking blog as a lurker for awhile now and I'm sorry to say that I never leave a comment. That is terrible because I love your most excellent blog.
    All your recipes look delicious. Great pictures. Today these muffins look absolutely awesomely YUMMY!!!
    Please, blog on Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hooked me with the "buttery streusel" topping. These look moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Miss Marie, I can almost smell the wonderful aroma. It's all I can do to keep from lickin' the screen! Heeehehehe!

    Thanks for this delicious lookin' recipe sweetie.

    Now...toss me a muffin' and nobody gets hurt! :o)

    God bless ya and have yourself a fantastic day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to be annoying, the ingredients for the streusel topping shows plain flour listed twice, 2 tbsp and 1 tbsp. Would you mind letting me know which you used. Only asking cos I want to make these beauties tomorrow. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well spotted Claire. The second one was a misprint. I have removed. You only need 2 TBS of plain flour in the topping!! Hope you enjoy! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Marie, you know I love your food and your blog. Most of all I love your sweet spirit! Hugs ~ Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much Cynthia! You made my day! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!