Raspberry Linzer Slices

Sunday 1 April 2012



Do YOU like jam as much as I like Jam??? I don't think anyone could like jam as much as we do in this house, but . . . I could be wrong!



WE just LOVE jam. Sometimes we just have a simple supper of bread, butter and jam, which hearkens back to our childhoods . . . and we are completely happy and content with that. Other times I will bake Todd some Jam Tarts, which he just adores. Other times it may be a cake, or cookies. Today I made these delicious Raspberry Linzer Slices.



I have made Linzer Cookies many times in the past, and to be sure . . . they are just fabulous. But they do take a bit of time . . . with the rolling out, cutting, etc. Some days I am just lazy. I want the treat . . . but I don't want to do all the faffing and rolling out.



Some days I want near instant gratification and that is what these wonderful slices are . . . near instant gratification.



With their crisp buttery base . . . sweet raspberry jam filling . . . and little buttery crumbles on top, these slices satisfy completely. In fact . . .



I bet you can't eat just one! (Which also makes them pretty near dangerous!!)



*Raspberry Linzer Slices*
Makes 9 to 12
Printable Recipe

Delicious jam bars, lightly spiced, buttery and sweet. Perfect with a hot cuppa!

For the base and topping:
175g plain flour (1 3/4 cup)
50g ground rice (1/4 cup) (you could grind rice in a coffee grinder and make your own
if you can't find it to buy. You want it really find, almost a powder.)
8 TBS golden caster sugar
140g cold butter, diced (9 3/4 TBS)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 TBS milk

In addition:
8 TBS raspberry jam, stirred to loosen
2 tsp caster sugar



Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Line a shallow 8 or 9 inch baking tin with baking parchment.

Put the flour, rice, sugar, cinnamon and cloves into a bowl, whisking well together. Drop in the butter and rub it in with yoru fingertips until fine crumbs form. Stir in the milk with a table knife. Tip three fourths of the mixture into the prepared pan, pressing it firmly into the bottom, evenly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden and crisp looking.

Spoon the jam over top of the base, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle the remainder of the crumbs over top and then return to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until the topping is golden. Sprinkle with the 2 tsp of sugar and allow to cool completely in the tin, before cutting into squares to serve.

3 comments

  1. I'm copying this one down, its a wonderful desert bar isn't it.My family would love this, it seems a bit old fashioned and those are usually the very best.I hope you had a good day Marie,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reckon this would be pretty close to heaven for me! Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like jam indeed, especially my mum's homemade. Great looking treat, Marie. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!