Cheddar Pan Biscuits

Thursday 20 December 2012

 photo 2e1eaa970ea6c009e918c18d4b929f1f_zps6d3d77ef.jpg



I have never been much of a bread maker.   Bread and I don't get along very well, and that is kind of sad to me . . . for after all, isn't bread considered to be the "Staff of Life?"

I don't make bread, I make doorstops.  Nice, heavy, doorstops.



Point in case, yesterday . . . I thought I would make this lovely cardamom scented vanilla bread, but by heck, what did I end up with?????



A lovely cardamom scented door stop.  The only thing missing was the handle.



I'm not sure what my problem with bread is.  Oh, I make nice enough bread in the bread maker, but then the bread maker does all the work, I just dump the ingredients in, cross my fingers, and hope for the best!



I do make good biscuits though . . . and they are a form of bread.  Yesterday I dusted off an old recipe of mine, that I have had for donkey's . . .



After that first failure of the day, I just had to have some success at something . . . besides . . . I was hankering after bread.  And what's a gal to do when that happens . . . you bake biscuits, which are not bread . . . but are sometimes better than bread.  These are fabulous.  Especially when spread with cold butter whilst still warm from the oven.  Oh my . . . oh my . . .



*Cheddar Pan Biscuits*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

Cheddar cheese and basil makes these home baked pan biscuits a tasty supper accompaniment.  They are wonderful with stews and soups, and incredibly good with cold meats and salads.  I guess they just go well with everything!

1/3 cup butter (75g)
2 1/4 cups flour (225g)
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
(plus about 1 ounce more for sprinkling on at the end)
1 TBS baking powder
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk (250ml)




Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Place the butter in an 8 inch square baking pan and set it into the oven to melt.  (3 to 5 minutes)  Remove from the oven and set aside.

Meanwhile whisk together the flour, cheese, baking powder, sugar, basil leaves and salt in a large bowl.  Add the milk and stir it in just until the mixture is moistened evenly.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for a minute until smooth.  (about 6 or 7 turns)

Pat or roll the dough out to a 12 by 6 inch rectangle.  Cut into 12 1-inch wide strips.  Dip the strips into the melted butter in the pan, one at a time and then fold each strip in half.  Place the folded strips in 2 rows in the same pan as you have melted the butter in. Sprinkle the 1 ounce of shredded cheese evenly over top.

Bake for 23 to 28 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Serve warm with cold butter for spreading and enjoy!!

8 comments

  1. Mmmm....those look fabulous. I don't eat much bread or cheese, but these would surely break my resolve! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sinfully delicious..

    Bravo..you make me smile with your breadmaking..you just have not tried the right recipe:) You do everything so perfectly well!!!
    I PROMISE..cross my heart..




    ReplyDelete
  3. divine... like an English scone and full of cheese... is there anything better?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my....!

    These were
    most definitely
    a success and
    glad you got
    to feed your
    inner bread
    goddess : )

    I wanted to thank
    you for another
    year of superb
    posts. I'm hoping
    that you will be
    published in hard
    copy, as I'd love
    to add The English
    Kitchen to my
    shelf of well-loved
    cook books!

    Merry Christmas,
    sweet Marie!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! You have some mine award on my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound great and I will be trying them soon t our bed and breakfast! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do I subscribe to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can add yourself to my followers list, or sign up for email following. All are found in my right hand column!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!