Christmas Hermit Cookies

Friday 21 December 2012

 

When the children were growing up I used to spend weeks and weeks baking ahead for Christmas.  There would be seemingly no end to the goodies I prepared.   Cookies, squares, tea breads and cakes . . . mince pies.  Then there would be fudge and peanut butter balls, butter tarts, logs . . . each one being a labor of love and wrapped tenderly after baking . . .  and then frozen in preparation for the big day.



We always had lots of family around for the holidays and I liked to gift special friends with some of the goodies as well, and had a lot of people that would drop in over the holidays . . . so it all got used.  |Nothing ever went to waste.



Now there is just the two of us . . . and not much call for a lot of Christmas baking.  There are still a few things I like to make though, which we will enjoy a portion of and the rest be gifted out.  It's nice to gift people with Christmas baking . . . and is always well received and appreciated.



I tend to pick and choose these days when it comes to my Christmas baking.  I love the spicy things most of all . . . mince pies, Christmas pudding, Christmas cake . . . and these tasty little bar cookies.  Hermit Cookies . . . delicately spiced, moist and chewy.

 

This particular version are baked as logs which are then cut into bars.  Oh so tender and moist and filled with lots of chopped sultanas and candied ginger root.  Easy to make and quick to do as well, as you bake them as an entire log and then cut them into bars after baking, cooling and drizzling with a tangy lemon or orange glaze.

 

Moist and chewy from the fruit, they are a real treat during the holidays!  I enjoyed a few this afternoon with a nice hot cup of herbal candy cane tea in my new tea mug . . . and early gift to myself from Susan Branch.   Somehow I think it added to the tastiness of my afternoon break.

 

I just love the holidays, don't you??

 

*Hermit Cookies*
Makes 1 1/2 dozen cookies
Printable Recipe

Chewy and incredibly moist.  The best hermit cookie ever. You need to start these the day before you plan on baking them, so plan accordingly.

150g of sultana raisins (1 cup)
2 TBS crystallized Ginger-root, finely chopped
8 TBS unsalted butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
200g plain flour (2 cups)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
150g of soft dark brown sugar
75ml of golden syrup
75ml of dark treacle
(For these you can substitute an equal amount of mild molasses, 125ml or 1/2 cup)
2 large free range eggs

For the glaze:
1 1/2 TBS lemon or orange juice
100g of icing sugar, sifted (3/4 cup)

 

Place the butter in a saucepan and heat over medium low heat until it is nut brown in color, swirling occasionally.  Don't let it burn.  Add the cinnamon and all spice.  Heat until it is fragrant.  Set aside to cool. 

Place the sultanas and ginger root into the bowl of your food processor.  Blitz until they are finely chopped, and the mixture begins to stick together.  They should be only small pieces.  Stir in the butter mixture.  Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, soda, salt and brown sugar in a large bowl, breaking up any lumps in the sugar.   Beat the eggs and syrup/treacle into the butter mixture.  Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir together until well combined.  The mixture will be quite sticky.  Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.  I like to leave it overnight.

The next day, preheat your oven to `80*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.  Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment.  Divide the chilled dough into 4 equal sized pieces.  Roll each piece into a 10 inch long log with your hands, on top of a lightly floured surface.  Place two logs each on one of the lined baking sheets, leaving plenty of space in between for spreading.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until only a shallow indentation remains on the edges when lightly touched.  Switch and rotate the baking sheets after 10 minutes.  They should still look soft in the centre.  Allow to cool on the baking sheets for five minutes, then slip the parchment off onto wire racks and allow to cool completely.

Whisk the glaze ingredients together until smooth and drizzable.  Drizzle over the cookie logs.  Allow to set and harden.   Cut the logs into 2 inch bars.  Store in an airtight container for up to five days at room temperature.

10 comments

  1. they sound amazing Marie, something we would like very much.I have been admiring that cup of Susan Branch, they are beautiful!We are having a blizzard, for some reason sleep won't come for me tonight, its 2 am!I'm a night owl tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love Hermit cookies. I think my recipe is very similar (using the molasses substitute). Tess brought a box of them to school to share with friends for Christmas since they are always a big hit.
    I find that I'm only baking one batch of this and that instead of two or three. I still bake gifts for friends, so that keeps the oven chugging along : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Hermit Cookies!! It looks so good and tasty as well. I will try it on Christmas for sure.

    budget kitchens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hermits were a New England regional favorite, I grew up eating them. What a lovely surprise to see a recipe for them here, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognized the tea mug right away! I too have been admiring it. Hermits are an old New England cookie and were my mom's favorite although she never baked them. Thank you for the memory and the recipe. I thought I was finished with holiday baking but maybe not quite yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that tea mug....have never seen anything like it. also love hermits and these look fabulous! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made these for Christmas . They never fail to conjure up childhood memories. Your recipe reminds me of home and when my mom was still baking. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the smell reminds me of my childhood! What a lovely memory! You are welcome!

      Delete
  8. I love hermits! I want that covered tea cup!! Any chance you can share the maker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it on Susan Branch over 10 years ago now. It doesn't have any markings on it, but it does include an infuser. I hope this helps! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!