Gingerbread Baby Bundt Cakes with a Cinnamon Glaze

Thursday 27 December 2012

 

I found this recipe via pinterest and These Peas Are Hollow.   quite some time ago. It looked fabulous.  The Peas Are Hollow people got the recipe via La Cuisine d'Helene.    I printed it out and it's been waiting in my "to do" file ever since.



Aside from the photograph which looked so very delicious . . . I was intrigued by the mix of spices which it called for.  Ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and all spice.  This cake had to be good . . .

 

We are having the missionaries over for supper tonight and so I decided that the time was ripe for me to bake these luscious little cakes. 



Oh my but they smelled gorgeous while they were baking.  It was like we were in a Yankee Candle shop, no kidding.  Simply fabulous.  If I could bottle that smell and use it like a perfume I would.
They came out dark and gingerbread-ee . . . and very moist.  The glaze adds to their delightful spiciness.  You could of course just use a plain glaze if you wanted . . . or a lemon glaze, which would also be very good.  I, myself, loved the spiciness of the cinnamon glaze.

 

I added a little decoration of silver dragees, which I thought looked very festive.  You don't have to . . . glitter is nice, or candied ginger, or whatever floats your boat.  Even nothing would be fine.  I just wanted pretty.



The cakes were every bit as delicious as their fragrance.  Moist and wonderfully spiced.  They went down a real treat with scoops of vanilla ice cream.

 

*Gingerbread Baby Bundt Cakes with a Cinnamon Glaze*
Makes 12 mini cakes
Printable Recipe

Adapted from a recipe I discovered on These Peas Are Hollow, taken from La Cuisine d'Helene.  Fabulously spiced and moistly delish.

225g of plain flour (2 1/4 cups)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
8 TBS unsalted butter, melted and cooled
120ml dark treacle
60ml golden syrup
(in North America, use 3/4 cup dark molasses)
145g granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
1 large free range egg
125 ml buttermilk (1/2 cup)
125ml whole millk (1/2 cup)

For the glaze:
130g sifted icing sugar (1 cup)
3 to 4 TBS whole milk
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Silver dragees or glitter to decorate (optional)

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter and flour 12 mini bundt pans.  Set aside.  (If you only have a six cup one, you will need to use it twice, cleaning and re-buttering and flouring again.)

Cream together the molasses, melted butter, syrups and sugar, until well blended using an electric whisk.  Whisk in the milk and buttermilk.  Whisk together the flour, soda, salt, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, cocoa powder, cinnamon and ginger.  Beat this into the creamed mixture a bit at a time until smooth and just combined.  Divide the mixture equally amongst the prepared baking pan, filling no more than 3/4 full.  Bake for 20 minutes until the tops spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Tip out onto a wire rack to cool completely before proceeding.

Whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth.  Drizzle over top of the cakes.  Sprinkle with dragees or glitter if using.

Note:  The original recipe said that it made 24 mini bundt cakes.  They must have been much smaller than mine.  I got  12 using my pan, which is a six cup pan, each cake being about 4 inches across.

5 comments

  1. They look beautiful, and I can actually smell them now, just reading the list of ingredients.....isn't it wierd how the brain does that ??!! (Or is it just me?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, the leftovers are very good for breakfast too! Nom Nom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful as well as delicious, I'm sure. Have to store this away for a special occasion. Thanks for sharing. Drop by my kitchen for a visit. www.tumbleweedcontessa.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful, will be making them soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!