Spaghetti with Butternut Squash, Sage and Pecorino Cheese

Tuesday 11 December 2012





One of my favourite of all the winter squashes has to be the butternut squash.  To me is it seems  a lot sweeter than the others and has a much nicer flavour.

To be honest . . . when I was a child, you couldn't get me to eat any kind of squash . . . not for love nor money.  I wouldn't even taste it.  My mom always cooked a pot of acorn squash  for our Thanksgiving and  Christmas dinners . . . but I turned my nose up at it every single time.  It tasted like bland mush, watery and blah . . . Sorry mom!



It's hard for me to believe now that I didn't like it!!!   It's such a lovely vegetable.  Peeled and cut into chunks, then tossed with olive oil, garlic and some sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, then roasted in a hot oven long enough to caramelize the edges a bit, the natural sweetness of this tasty vegetable is enhanced.  Make sure you roast enough extra so that you have leftovers. With the addition of a bit of vegetable stock and some cream, you end up with  a delicious, almost instant soup!



Boiled until tender, drained well and then mashed with some butter and cream, you have a delicious side dish.

Stir in a bit of finely grated Parmesan Cheese and roasted garlic . . .  and that takes it to even greater heights!



This delicious recipe pan grills it with some garlic and sage and then tosses the caramelized bits with tasty al dente pasta and Pecorino Cheese.  If you are a fan of Butternut Squash Ravioli, you will love this dish.  It has all the flavours, with none of the fuss!!



Easy, quick and oh-so-delicious!  I am a great fan of quick . . . easy . . . and delicious!



*Spaghetti with Butternut Squash, Sage and Pecorino Cheese*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is one of those quick and tasty weeknight meals that I just love.  If you love Butternut Squash Ravioli, you will love this!  Hasty tasty!!!

65ml light olive oil (4 1/2 TBS)
400g butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into thin wedges (1 pound)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
10 to 12 small sage leaves
400g spaghetti (1 pound)
a handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
50g pecorino or Parmesan cheese, grated (5 TBS)
(I usually use more because I really like it.)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
(I use smoked sea salt)



Put the oil in a skillet and heat over high heat.  Add the butternut squash and cook, stirring frequently, until golden but not breaking up.  Add the garlic and the sage to the pan and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove from the heat and set aside  in order to allow the flavour to really develop.

Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions.  Drain it well and return it to the warm pan, stirring in the squash mixture and hal fof the cheese.  Season well and toss gently to combine.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and serve immediately.

4 comments

  1. I too turned my nose up at this for years. I don't know why I decided I didn't like it, I hadn't really tried it! This recipe sounds very good. I will be giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three of my favorite things: butternut squash, spaghetti, and Parmesan. How could I not love this! And I happen to have more than a few butternut squash from the garden, sitting in our cold basement. Thanks for the recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. look delicious!! I love Marie!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Marie, Thank you for this new take (for me) for spaghetti! I adore butternut squash, have never had butternut ravioli and cannot wait to make this. I have some squash down in the basement right now...!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!