White Chocolate Drizzled Gingerbread Baked Donuts

Saturday 15 December 2012



 

Are you sick of seeing baked donuts yet??  Good, because I keep coming up with tasty and new varieties that I am just having so much fun trying out.

 

I just love gingerbread.  It is one of my absolute favourite cake flavours and the other day I thought to myself . . . why not Gingerbread Baked Donuts???

 

Why not indeed.  These are fabulously spiced . . . and moist too.

 

I think the white chocolate drizzle dresses them up very nicely.  They look just perfect to me.



And who can resist that little bit of moreishly tasty candied ginger sprinkled over top??  NOT me that's who!!

 

Mmmm . . . so good.  One of my favourite things . . . candied ginger.  I sometimes sneak a piece just for a treat.  So good with chocolate too . . . especially dark chocolate . . . but . . . I digress.

 

I loved these.  I think they are my favourite ones so far!  (I know . . . I say that every time, but it's always true!!)   I think YOU'LL love them too!



*White Chocolate Drizzled Gingerbread Baked Donuts*
Makes 24
Printable Recipe


Festively perfect for a holiday brunch.  Nicely spiced, with a sweet white chocolate drizzle and sprinkled with bits of candied ginger.  Soooo good!!

1 1/2 cups plain flour (210g)
1/4 cup packed soft light brown sugar (50g)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 TBS unsweetened Cocoa powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup shortening (110g)
1/2 cup  mild molasses (115ml)
1 large free range egg
1/2 cup hot water (115ml)

1 bag of white chocolate chips, melted
several chunks of candied ginger, chopped

Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/ gas mark 3.  Lightly spray several large baked donut tins with cooking spray.  You will need to use them more than once.  I have two tins which hold six each, which I use twice, allowing them to cool down in between baking.

Whisk together the flour,  baking powder, soda, cocoa powder, cinnamon and ginger.  Set aside.    Beat the sugar and shortening together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg.  Stir together the hot water and molasses and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the dry ingredients, beginning and ending with dry.  Spoon the batter into donut hole,filling them about 1/2 of the way up.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until well risen and the tops spring back when lightly touched.  Let cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning out carefully.  Repeat as needed until all the batter is used, wiping the pans clean and re-spraying in between bakings.

Once they are all baked, melt your chocolate chips, according to your package directions.   Drizzle the melted chocolate over top of the donuts and sprinkle with chopped ginger before it sets.  Allow to set completely before serving.  Store any leftovers in a tightly covered container.

2 comments

  1. Good morning,Marie!
    I so much liked your gingerbread doughnuts today! I'm also a big fun of ginger.I wonder if you can help me, though.
    First of all,because it's lent period here and I thought it a good idea to make some for my colleagues -do you think there's a way to substitude the egg in this recipe with sth else-not milk.
    What's the shortening?
    And which recipe do you recommend to make the gingerbread men, which are not too hard for the children?
    Don't feel pressed to answer. Do it only if you can and whenever you can.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Helen, I have addressed your egg substitute question in a separate post. (see the one after this one) As for shortening, it is a white vegetable fat which is used in baking. Crisco, or Trex or White Flora are very popular brands here. You could use hard margarine or butter if you prefer.

    I will dig out my gingerbread man recipe. Look for it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!