Turkey Casserole

Tuesday 5 February 2013

 photo SAM_4561_zpsb062710e.jpg

I cooked a turkey at the weekend . . . some might say somewhat of an indulgence, but I was so unwell at Christmas this year we hadn't really enjoyed our Christmas Dinner very much and so . . . I wanted roast turkey.   Nothing special . . . just the same way I always roast it . . . my favourite way . . . which you can see here.  Simple and delicious.

  photo SAM_4560_zps838241ed.jpg

I wanted to use up some of the leftovers today in a casserole.   I wanted something completely different than the usual turkey curry or pot pie . . . and so I went searching and I found this delicious recipe on Clover Lane.  I thought it sounded very different . . . and quite, quite delicious.

 photo SAM_4563_zpsfc446115.jpg

Plus it had the added benefit of using up a lot of my other leftovers . . . such as mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce.   I do so love cranberry sauce in a casserole . . . and stuffing.

 photo SAM_4576_zpse112485c.jpg

You layer half of the leftover stuffing on the bottom  and the other half on the top . . . in between are sandwiched chopped cooked turkey, spread with a delicious cranberry mayonnaise.

 photo SAM_4578_zps7bf105e9.jpg

On top of the turkey meat and sauce goes a delicious mixture of leftover mashed potatoes, mayonnaise and mozzarella cheese . . . then of course the finalopping of stuffing.

 photo SAM_4577_zps5b0c3c7b.jpg

It is an unusual combination to be sure . . . but it works together beautifully.   Perhaps it is not so pretty to look at, but I can promise you that in this case,  looks are very deceiving . . .  as this is probably one of the most delicious turkey casseroles I have ever tasted!

 photo SAM_4575_zps3dd8fe23.jpg

It's probably a little bit of bad timing now . . . as it's not Christmas or Thanksgiving . . . but this is one you will want to bookmark for sometime when you do have these kinds of leftovers . . . or of course, you could always use the leftovers from a tasty roast chicken dinner, which would also taste very well done this way.

Enjoy.



 photo SAM_4562_zps64f6a589.jpg


*Turkey Casserole*
Serves 4 to 6, depending on appetites
Printable Recipe

A delicious casserole which is easy to put together and helps to use up leftovers from your roast dinners.

4 cups of prepared stuffing, divided
4 cups of coarsely chopped leftover cooked turkey (about one pound)
3/4 cup of good quality mayonnaise, divided
1/4 cup of whole berry cranberry sauce
2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/   Butter an 8 inch square casserole dish.    Spoon half of the stuffing mixture into the bottom of the dish and spread it out to cover.   Sprinkle with the turkey pieces.   Whisk together 1/4 cup of the mayonnaise and all of the cranberry sauce.   Spread this mixture over top of the turkey.   Beat together the remaining mayonnaise, the mashed potatoes and the  mozzarella cheese.   Spoon this over top of the turkey, spreading it over to cover.   Sprinkle the remaining stuffing over top.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until bubbling and heated through.   Allow to stand for 10 minutes or so before serving.   Delicious!

9 comments

  1. If in the country called the'' endog omelet. "Made of egg material. Extremely tasty if fried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great combo of flavors this is, Marie... I like the feeling of leftover Thanksgiving & Christmas this has. Thank you! :o) Happy Day ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. This casserole sounds wonderful! I just may have to buy a turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Ive just discovered you im so happy about it!! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Marie this look absolutely delicious I love turkey meat!Send you hugss and love!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who said Turkey is just for Thanksgiving or in our case Christmas ?
    We eat Turkey year round, normally picking up Turkey wings for about $6 a kg. Slow cooked they are a favourite of DH's. Turkey mince is a cheaper substitute for chicken mince.
    This sounds like a winner if only I had left over stuffing !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my husband would LOVE this!! I generally like to keep my fruit and meat separate, but he's the me making giant sandwiches out of these leftovers! And it really does look delicious, I can't help it! You're a casserole genius, dear friend!
    Hugs, April

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is soooooo me! I NEED to have some of this NOW!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!