A delicious Pasta Dish in the Italian Manner . . .

Friday 27 June 2014

  photo SAM_5087_zpsed933d85.jpg

I have never been to Italy, but I have long loved Italian Food.  The Toddster, he's not so fussed.  He, as you all know, is not fussed about pasta or pizza and so he says he doesn't think he would enjoy visiting Italy.  I always tell him though, they eat a lot more than pasta and pizza in Italy!     I could quite happily live on just those two things alone, but I really do hope that one day I will have the opportunity to find out for myself.

  photo SAM_5088_zps590acc49.jpg

Yesterday I took a boo in the refrigerator and decided to make myself a dish that used up some of the bits and bobs that I had hanging in there . . . some spinach, a few TBS of sun-dried tomato pesto, a handful of button mushrooms, some leftover seasoned tinned chopped tomatoes and a rather tired looking banana shallot in the vegetable drawer.  I felt a little bit like an Italian Grandmother when I was doing it . . . or as how I perceive that an Italian Grandmother would cook . . . kinda like my grandmother, but with more exotic ingredients!

  photo SAM_5094_zpsb1900976.jpg

This is the type of cooking that I really like to do most of all . . . being inventive with what I have on hand.   When I first moved over here to the UK there used to be a show on every afternoon at about 4 pm called Ready Steady Cook.

  photo SAM_5089_zps4afc665b.jpg

There would be two guests and two celebrity chef's,  a moderator/presenter and a studio audience.  Each of the guests would give their chef a bag filled with a few ingredients and the chef would then have to live up to the challenge of creating as many tasty dishes as they could with these ingredients in 20 minutes of cooking time.

  photo SAM_5099_zps267cfc3a.jpg

Oh how I loved that show.  I was always so amazed at what the chef's came up with and in such a short time.  Truth be told, they probably had somewhat of an inkling ahead of time what was going to be in the bag . . . but it made for interesting viewing at any rate!

  photo SAM_5097_zps383cda23.jpg

Anyways, that is what I like to do here at home.  Take what I have and then try to create something tasty out of it.   I also like it to look good.  Sometimes I am successful, and sometimes I am not.

  photo SAM_5107_zps289991a5.jpg

Today I think I was.   I loved all of the colours and flavours of this dish.   It was simple and yet it tasted divine . . . and I got to indulge in a a tasty rare treat of pasta.  I called it Kitchen Sink Pasta because it has a bit of everything in it . . . all but the kitchen sink!

  photo SAM_5095_zpsbcdc734c.jpg

*Kitchen Sink Pasta*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

One of those quick and easy meals for when you are short on ingredients, except for little dabs of this and little dabs of that.  Quick, simple and delicious.

130g (6 ounces) dry pasta (1 1/3 cup)
1 TBS olive oil
1 banana shallot, peeled and chopped
1 small clove garlic, chopped
1 handful of fresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 TBS sun dried tomato pesto
370g of chopped tomatoes with oregano and basil (a generous cup ful)
1 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
a couple handfuls of baby spinach leaves
Finely grated Parmesan Cheese to serve

 photo SAM_5105_zpsdea46c93.jpg

Bring a pot of lightly salted water to the boil.  Add your pasta and cook as per package directions.  (Today I used a cup shaped pasta that would hold the sauce well.)  Drain well. Rinse with hot water.  Drain again and keep warm

Heat the olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the shallot and cook, stirring until golden brown.  Add the mushrooms and garlic,  Cook until the mushrooms begin to brown, stirring occasionally.  Stir in the pesto, tinned tomatoes and vinegar.  Bring to the boil and cook rapidly until the sauce reduces substantially.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Stir in the spinach leaves allowing them to just wilt.  Add the cooked pasta and toss together.   Divide amongst two serving bowls, topping each with a grating of cheese.

I have decided to enter this recipe into a fab contest going on at the moment over at the Tuscany Now Blog.   They are offering some really nice prizes and I think this recipe is contest worthy! #TuscanyNowCookOff  What have I got to lose?  Nada, or as the Italians would say  . . . Non un diamine de molto!  MWHA!

4 comments

  1. Marie, I like your kitchen sink pasta that you came up with. I recently did the same. I was running late with dinner and so I sautéed yellow squash (zucchini or corgettes ;-) ), mushrooms, and garlic in olive oil until soft. Then added salt, pepper and parsley. Also added butter for richness. Served it on top of thin spaghetti and topped with Parmesan cheese. Was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is how the best recipes are born Val! I sure wish Todd liked pasta as we would have it a lot more often if he did! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!