Barbecued Frankfurters

Saturday 7 June 2014

Barbecued Frankfurters

Somehow my post for this morning actually posted yesterday.   (I hate it when that happens!)  

My goal has always been to present you with one new recipe each day, and so in the spirit of that and because of the mysteries of the internet, today you get two new recipes.  ☺

Barbecued Frankfurters

When I was much, much younger.  In fact, still in high school . . .  I began to purchase cookbooks.  One of the ones I bought was the Fanny Farmer Cooking School cookbook, and in all honesty, I have worn out no less than 3 copies of that book in the ensuing years.   

Another purchase which I made was the Better Homes and Gardens Encyclopaedia of cooking books.  I still have them.  They consist of a variety of books with titles such as Good Food on a Budget, and Casseroles . . . Meat Cookery, etc.  All published in 1971.

Barbecued Frankfurters 

There are some who would think that being so old these books no longer have any value, but that is where they would be really wrong.  

 Just because something is old that doesn't mean that it has no value.   These books are filled with lots of little gems such as this recipe I am showing to you today.  Barbecued Frankfurters.

Barbecued Frankfurters

This is the MOST delicious hot-dog recipe I have ever cooked.   I have had these books for about 40 years now and the very first time I made these was the other day.   

And my immediate thought upon biting into one was this . . . "Where have you been all my life!!!!"

Barbecued Frankfurters

Absolutely, unequivocally, POSITIVELY the tastiest  hot-dog recipe ever!  Totally serious and honest statement.    And they are so simple to make too.  

The recipe uses simple ingredients most of us have in our fridge and larders at all times . . . tomato ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce, onions, celery, mustard . . . and . . .  hot-dogs of course! all put together in a simple and easy way.  

I love simple recipes that end up being delicious, don't you?  This is a new favourite for us.

Barbecued Frankfurters

*Barbecued Frankfurters*
Serves 5

This is the most delicious way to prepare hotdogs. Adapted from an old Better Homes and Gardens recipe book.   WE just loved these.  I think they are destined to become a family favourite in your house too!  I do hope you will give them a go.  

1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 stick celery, peeled and finely chopped
1 TBS olive oil
225ml of tomato ketchup (1 cup)
110ml of water (1/2 cup)
pinch salt
2 TBS soft light brown sugar
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1 TBS Dijon mustard
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound frankfurters
5 finger buns
To serve: (optional)
grated cheese
finely chopped onion  

Barbecued Frankfurters

Heat the oil in a large skillet.  Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring frequently to soften the vegetables without browning.  Stir in the ketchup, water, salt, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper.   Cover the pan and simmer for about 20 minutes.   Score the frankfurters lightly on the diagonal at 1 inch intervals.  Add to the sauce.  (You can brown first if you wish.)  Turn to coat them in the sauce.  Cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.  Split and toast the buns beneath the grill.   Fill with the frankfurters. Top with cheese and chopped onion as desired.   Serve hot. 



Barbecued Frankfurters 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan@aol.com 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments

  1. Our little ones like hot dogs and J sometimes indulges with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your little ones would really like these Monique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Marie ... this sounds like a recipe I will actually have a go at; I'm not a cooking enthusiast, so the simpler & less expensive, the better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So often the old recipes are the best. They don't use all the modern convenience foods that the newer cookbooks do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sharon and Jane! Cheap and cheerful is the rule of thumb around here more and more these days! I quite love older recipes. You are right. They are not fancy schmancy, but with a few minor adjustments most are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter just figured out how to make her own cream of whatever soups and loves doing it. So much better to know what the ingredients are than the canned soups. But I've been telling her that for years and it's only now sunk in. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!