Nan's Butter Cake

Thursday 12 June 2014



We had two sets of missionaries over for tea last week.  The girls got the Magic Custard Cake, which has proved really popular on here, and the lads got Nan's Butter Cake.

It went down a real treat with the lads!  They gobbled it up!  I was glad.  Even Todd (who says he doesn't like Lemon) had two slices!  But then again  . . . what's not to like???  Rich moist butter cake with two fillings and that tart glaze???  Absolutely nothing.  Winner winner, chicken dinner!



*Nan's Butter Cake*
Makes one 8 inch round cake

This is a delicious moist cake, very much like the ones your nan might have made.  Simple and easy as all of the ingredients are just dumped into a bowl and beaten together.

127g of unsalted butter, well softened (1/2 cup plus 1 TBS)
1 tsp vanilla extract
218g of caster sugar (1 cup plus 1 1/2 TBS)
3 large free range eggs
225g of plain flour, sifted (1 1/2 cups plus 1 1/2 TBS)
1/2 tsp of baking powder, sifted
1/4 tsp  bicarbonate of soda, sifted (baking soda)
pinch of fine sea salt
120ml of whole milk, at room temperature (1/2 cup)

Glaze:
140g of sifted icing sugar (1 cup)
1 to 2 TBS lemon juice as needed  


Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F. gas mark 3.  Butter an 8 inch round pan very well.  Line with baking paper and butter the paper also.  Set aside.

Place all of the ingredients into a large bowl in the order given.   Using an electric whisk, beat on low speed just until combined.  Scrape the sides of the bowl.   Continue to beat
at high speed, until the mixture is smooth.  Pour into the prepared pan and level the top.

Bake in the preheated oven for one hour, until well risen and golden brown.  A tooth pick inserted in the centre should come out clean. 

Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then carefully un-mold onto a plate.  Allow to cool completely before proceeding.

To make the glaze, whisk the icing sugar together with enough lemon juice to make a smooth drizzle icing.   Drizzle this over the cake allowing some to drip down the sides.
Cut into wedges to serve.  Store in an airtight container.    

NOTE:  This is a single layer cake.  I like to cut the layer in half through the middle and fill it.  Any kind of jam makes a fabulous filling.  You may also leave it plain and just glazed. It's up to you.

You know what??  I've never yet had anyone ask me why there is always a slice missing from every dessert or cake that I serve.  They must know me.  





9 comments

  1. Now that's good box stuff..things we use!

    Lovely cake..very similar to one of the first I got the recipe for 41 yrs ago:)

    Love the way you presented it..Mine is usually plain w/ plain icing..
    I am sure everyone loves your food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom always put jam between her cake layers Monique, even chocolate cake. It just made them moister. Cherry jam is nice between layers of chocolate cake! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks simply scrumptious, and I wish I could get a Degusta box!! What fun treats! Especially the apple drinks, the cloudy and cider, YUM!! I'm a huge fan of cider, and anything carbonated, but you rarely find the two together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun box to receive in the mail. We get the Garofalo pasta here in the USA. I use it in my dishes. Nan's Butter Cake looks SOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. April, you wouldn't like this cider as it's alcoholic! I hope you try the cake!

    Valerie, it is fun to get a box like that each month. I am surprised they don't do it in America, but they don't do online grocery shopping either do they? The cake is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I'm not sure if they do a grocery box here in the US. I used to receive a "Bark Box" for my dogs each month, which was so fun. I know they do make-up (cosmetic) type boxes here too but I don't subscribe to those. It certainly is like Christmas to receive surprise boxes in the mail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Valerie H, I have noticed that the UK is legions ahead of North America in that way. We have lots of these types of services and online Grocery shopping. Almost all of the major grocery stores offer an online shopping service which delivers your shopping right to your door! It's fabulously convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I'll stick with the cloudy apple whatsit then :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could cook with the cider April!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!