A Creamy Potato Gnocchi Salad

Thursday 31 July 2014

 photo SAM_5974_zps63d35430.jpg

If any of you have been reading my blog for a while now, you will know that I am an absolute fan of gnocchi!  It's one of my cupboard staples and something which I try to use in a variety of ways.  I am always stretching the boundaries somewhat . . .  seeing how far I can take it, usually with quite tasty results.




  photo SAM_5975_zpscf85ab24.jpg

I have fried it, hashed it, scrambled it, souped it, mac and cheesed it and baked it into creamy gratins.  About the only thing I haven't done with it, is to make it from scratch, but watch this space.  I have plans and you all know what happens then!

  photo SAM_5976_zps90738813.jpg

I am of the opinion that you can treat gnocchi in just about the same way as you would treat a boiled potato, or any other type of pasta and so the other day the wheels started turning and what with the hot weather we have been having lately I thought I would try turning it into a type of potato salad . . .  except it would be a gnocchi salad, a creamy Potato Gnocchi Salad . . .  and guess what?

 photo SAM_5977_zpsabf925d0.jpg

It . . . like . . . TOTALLY worked!  'Nuff said.  (I love it when that happens!)

  photo SAM_5984_zpsd8cb32da.jpg

*A Creamy Potato Gnocchi Salad*
Serves 6 to 8

I took a package of gnocchi and treated it like potatoes, coming up with what I thought was a very tasty salad indeed!  


boiling water
1 pound of potato gnocchi
a couple handsful of frozen petit pois, thawed and drained
1 small bag of radishes, trimmed and diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 small red onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped

For the Dressing:
2/3 cup mayonnaise (146g)
1/3 cup salad cream (73g)
the juice of two lemons
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
a small handful of chopped fresh parsley

 photo SAM_5982_zps2e7024bc.jpg

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil.   Add the gnocchi and cook according to package directions. Drain well.  Rinse in cold water.  Drain again and then tip into a bowl.   Add all of the vegetables, along with the chopped hard boiled eggs, and stir together to combine.  Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.  Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.  Fold this dressing into the gnocchi and vegetable mixture.  Smooth over and cover.  Chill for about 3 hours before serving.  Stir again just before serving.  If desired sprinkle with some more parsley.


11 comments

  1. NO, Jenny, there are little potato dumplings, but you can use them just like potatoes I have found! It works for me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring on summer at my place!! Actually who needs to wait for summer, on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be good any time of year Vicky! I hope you make it and like it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I have some I made frozen..great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Monique! I hope you like it! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so tasty! One question, what is salad cream?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a brilliant idea. I don't buy potatoes often, and I always forget to use whatever is left after I've made the thing I bought them for. Gnocci keep in the freezer. I am trying this this week with my fav potato salad recipe. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never cooked with gnocci. I've wanted to, but just haven't gotten there yet. This looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought to put it in a salad, but it sounds amazing! I make my own, its so easy and they are very hard to find here, I will try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valerie, I think the American equivalent of Salad Cream is Kraft Coleslaw dressing! It's a bit looser and sweeter than mayo!

    eccentric, I always have gnocchi in the cupboard as well!

    Holly, it's time you try it! It's amazingly versatile!

    Laurie, they are quite common here. You can buy them fresh or semi dried. I hope you do get to make the recipe. I think it's really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!