Glazed Cinnamon Roll Muffins

Sunday 10 August 2014

 photo SAM_6472_zps4ca2f97c.jpg

Some days you just want something for breakfast that is really bad and a bit naughty.  I know cake is a good thing to fill that urge, but sometimes you want it only a bit naughty, but still a bit decadent . . . any woman would know what I am talking about I think . . .




 photo SAM_6474_zps87f67200.jpg

You want something that is totally scrumptious . . .  but not so scrumptious that you have to pay for it for the rest of the week in deprivation.   These delicious Cinnamon Roll Muffins fit that bill perfectly.


  photo SAM_6475_zpsbec2742d.jpg

Essentially they are just a muffin . . .  with a bit of butter (only a bit) some flour, sugar, eggs, flavouring . . . like little vanilla flavoured cakes, albeit a bit sturdier . . . but then . . .

 photo SAM_6476_zps05a69ec4.jpg

There is this little swirl of brown sugar and cinnamon at the heart of them, which is just a tad bit naughty . . .  not overly so . . .  a little bit of a cinnamon swirl is not so bad . . .

 photo SAM_6478_zpsaf670b31.jpg

Cream Cheese glaze icing . . .  well, that is a bit naughtier and tips them just enough over the edge as to be mmmmm . . . moaningly scrumptious . . .  but not enough to be OH MY GOODNESS I REALLY DID IT THIS TIME naughty.  Not like yesterday's cake which is enough of a sin that you would have to pay for it a bazillion times over.

 photo SAM_6483_zpsdd1a4733.jpg

Sometimes just a little bit naughty can be very nice.   Just sayin' is all.

 photo SAM_6482_zps266557a5.jpg

 *Glazed Cinnamon Roll Muffins*
Makes 6 good sized muffins
Printable Recipe 


Moist muffins, with a cinnamon sugar swirl  and a delicious cream cheese glaze.

For the muffins:
175g of plain flour (1 1/4 cups)
4 TBS granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
110ml of milk (1/2 cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten lightly
115g of butter, melted (1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the swirl:
2 TBS firmly packed soft light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

For the glaze:
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 TBS butter, room temperature
1/2 to 1 TBS milk
few drops vanilla
130g sifted icing sugar, may need more (1 cup powdered sugar)

 photo SAM_6486_zpsb809613e.jpg

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Spray a six cup nonstick muffin pan with cake release spray and set aside.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.   Beat the egg and milk together and then whisk in the melted butter and vanilla.  Add all at once to the dry mixture and stir just to combine.  Divide equally among the prepared muffin cups.   Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon.   Gently stir this mixture into the muffin batter.   I just sprinkle it on top and swirl it through with a toothpick.

 photo SAM_6488_zps3e291a1c.jpg

Bake 25 to 30 minutes.  Allow to cool in the pan for five minutes, before tipping out onto a wire rack to cool.

Whisk together the butter and cream cheese for the icing.  Whisk in 1/2 TBS of the milk and vanilla.  Whisk in the icing sugar until smooth.  You want a thick  consistency, but not thick enough to spread.  You may need more milk, or you may need more sugar.   It varies.   Spread on top of the muffins, or dip the tops of the warm muffins in and give them a swirl.  Let set before serving.  Store any extras in an airtight container.


9 comments

  1. Everyone is home tomorrow morning so I may make these as a true treat. I think I have everything I need too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really simple Suzan! xx

    They are Monique, although they rise a bit lopsided. That may be because of the cinnamon swirl, I don't know! Very tasty at any rate! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rolls Marie and these look amazing!:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely delicious! This recipe has been declared "a keeper" by my family.

    Love your blog, Marie. You are the bright spot in my morning coffee routine!

    Thanks from sunny Manitoba, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heee, you're so funny! Bring on the naughty Marie! I can see with that amount of icing on top of the roll, you are my kind of woman! Haa! I love lots of frosting/icing on my cakes. Running off a copy of this right now! Thanks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gloria! xx

    DArlene, thanks for letting me know your family enjoyed! I used to live in Manitoba! I lived in Gimli when I was a girl and then in Winnipeg for a short when I was first married! It is a lovely province. I have a lot of nice memories from there!

    Naughty girl Valerie! I am a full on kind of gal and you must be too! Why am I not surprised!! ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gahhhhhh. Thank you for this. Weekend baking is now sorted!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!