Beef and Broccoli . . . Combo Special Number 9

Tuesday 23 September 2014

 photo SAM_7228_zps79f8bb56.jpg

I wouldn't like to call myself predictable, but I guess there are some choices which I obsess on choose predictably identically all the time every time.  Things like always sleeping on the left hand side of the bed . . .  or getting up at the same time each morning and going to bed at the same time each night . . . drinking diet coke as the drink of choice when we go out for dinner, or always having Turkey for Christmas  . . . I suppose we all have our own individual quirks and obsessions!


 photo SAM_7227_zpsf83d537c.jpg

I guess I am a woman who knows what she likes and likes what she knows!  I am like my mother in that way to a degree I suppose.  She is a woman who knows what she likes and likes what she knows too!

 photo SAM_7229_zps2fade371.jpg

When we think of a celebratory meal in my family . . .  it's always fish and chips.  It wins hands down every time . . .  and if its not fish and chips its a meal at the local Chinese restaurant.   I have never been to a Chinese restaurant over here . . .  truth.   But it is one of my favourite types of foreign food.  Back home we have a little Chinese restaurant in town that my mom favours and whenever we go there I can always predict that she will have the Combo Special Number 9. . .  and predicatably . . . so will I.

  photo SAM_7230_zps828b6616.jpg

Egg Roll, Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls, Egg Fried Rice . . . and Beef and Broccoli.  It's mom's favourite Chinese Meal and it's my favourite too.  You can keep your garlic spare ribs and your chop suey . . .  I like my chicken balls and my beef and broccoli.

 photo SAM_7231_zpscbf70a79.jpg

I think broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables . . .  and I love the sauce that goes with beef and broccoli.   I was really craving a Number 9 today . . . actually I've been craving one for a while now.  But alas . . .  there is no House of Cheng here in Chester, or even in the UK.   Not that serves food that tastes like what I am craving at any rate!

 photo SAM_7232_zps2342bf6b.jpg

And so today I did what any good cook who is craving something that she cannot possibly buy ready made . . .  I made my own.   And it was every bit as good as the dish from the House of Cheng.  Oh, I had to do a lot more work to get it . . .  and there was no fortune cookie waiting for me at the end of it all, but I was happy nonetheless.   The Number 9 Special . . .  Part One . . .  Beef and Broccoli. 

 photo SAM_7233_zpsd8e614fe.jpg


*Chinese Beef and Broccoli*
Serves 4

Just as delicious as the Chinese Take away, maybe even better.  It only takes a short time for the beef to marinate and become fork tender.  

For the meat and marinade:
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 tsp sugar
1 TBS corn flour (corn starch)
1 TBS soy sauce (low sodium)
1 TBS cold water
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 1/2 pound lean beef frying steak, cut into thin strips 

You will also need 2 broccoli crowns (florets only) 

For the sauce:
120ml of low sodium soy sauce (1/2 cup)
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
2 TBS plain flour
2 TBS soft light brown sugar
1 TBS sweet sherry 

You will also need about 3 TBS vegetable oil for cooking  

  photo SAM_7236_zps53b19cbb.jpg

Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until smooth.   Stir in the meat and mix to coat well.   Set aside covered to marinate for about an hour.

When you are ready to cook, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients until smooth.   Set aside.


Heat 2 TBS of the oil in a large skillet until shimmering.   Add the broccoli florets.  Saute for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until crispy tender.  Remove to a plate and set aside.

 photo SAM_7252_zps2b2fbbca.jpg

Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil to the hot pan.  Add the marinated meat and half of the sauce mixture.  Saute for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through.   Stir in the broccoli and remaining sauce.   Cook for about a minute longer, stirring frequently.   Serve hot. 

Tune in tomorrow for Part Two . . .  The Sweet and Sour Chicken Balls, not to be missed!

8 comments

  1. I love Asian food too Marie. This looks so delicious! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Valerie! It was very good! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I did have my mom..and I was around 10..we would go to church together and once in a while we would go to Bamboo Village..our family didn't go out for dinner..but if my dad was in a great mood and had a great month at work.. we would order from bamboo Village.
    I loved Chicken Soo Guy and never see it on menus.
    I have turned into a General Tao girl by default :)
    I wish I could remember which number my mom and I ordered!
    Maybe #4.
    What sweet memories..oh spare ribs were so good too and I would put some of the sauce on my fried rice.I preferred the almond cookies to the fortune cookies..but had both:)

    This dish looks so good Marie..and thanks for the memories..
    Now I want pineapple chicken balls too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love your memories Monique. I do like spareribs too, but I like the beef and broccoli more and I love LOVE the chicken wings, but they are so bad for you.

    I used to have a really good recipe for the almond cookies, but I have filed it someplace that I cannot find it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to make a concerted effort to find it Monique! I have lost and found it several times! I know I can find it again, and hopefully next time NOT lose it again! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmh, I LOVE broccoli and also
    Chinese food. We were too poor growing up to afford take outs or even eating out at a restaurant, 6 kids gets expensive!

    Anyway, I think I may have to make this just for me, OH gags at the sight of broccoli... apparently it 'looks like little trees', yes this man is 34 years old... shame... guess I'll have to eat it all, such a sacrifice! *whistles innocently*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shen you make me laugh! I had five children and you are right, eating out is very expensive with five children and six children. We never ate in restaurants when I was a child, and there were only three of us. When my babies were growing up we did take them out once a month, but it was usually to someplace like McDonalds. It was a real treat for them! What a shame you will have to eat suffer this all by yourself, *wink*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!