Chow Mein

Tuesday 16 September 2014

 photo SAM_8420_zps23c6c804.jpg

 We're usually starving when we get home from church on Sundays.  If I've been smart I will have gotten up early enough to get something into the slow cooker, but if I haven't we have to resort to whatever I can come up with at short notice, because . . . we are absolutely famished by that time!


 photo SAM_8421_zps26c8ae24.jpg

This went together really quickly and was so delicious when it was done.   I always like to have a few recipes like this handy Chow Mein one up my sleeve.  It uses ingredients that I normally have in my larder all the time.   You can pick up the noodles at any grocery store.  I use the already cooked ones for convenience but you could cook your own if you wanted to.

  photo SAM_8432_zpsce6e9fa2.jpg

The sauce for the dish is really flavourful and with the added crunch of celery and cabbage . . .  not to mention plenty of garlic and ginger, it's a real winner!    It filled our after service tummy gaps at any rate!  I just threw together some chicken fried rice using leftover chicken from Saturday night and we were all happy!

 photo SAM_8431_zps9e6bb792.jpg

*Chow Mein*
Serves 4
Quick and easy and addictive.  I could eat this til it comes out my ears!


300g fresh egg noodles for stir fry (about 2 cups)
(ready cooked in the chiller section)
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
60ml of dark soy sauce (1/4 cup)
1 TBS soft light brown sugar, packed
2 tsp freshly grated ginger root
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 TBS olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery sliced on the diagonal
1/2 small cabbage, shredded with a knife

 photo SAM_8433_zps45a2ad2d.jpg

Whisk together the soy sauce, garlic, brown sgar, ginger root and white pepper.   Set aside.   Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.   Add the onion and cabbage and cook over medium heat, stirring often until crispy tender, five to ten minutes.  Add the celery and cook for about 3 minutes longer.    Ad the noodles and the soy sauce mixture.  Toss to combine well and heat through.   Serve immediately.

11 comments

  1. This look delicious Marie!
    The twins love chinese food:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love asianish dishes too Monique! I used to love going to the Chinese Buffet back home. It was always good! xx

    You will have to make this for the Twins GLoria! They must be all grown up now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Marie. This looks SO delicious. What is it about noodles that makes them so irresistible?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sure they would love Marie:)
    They love sushi too ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been able to bring myself to be able to eat Sushi GLoria. I think it's the whole idea of eating raw fish which puts me off! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Coco! I love noodles too. Any way. Any time. Any how! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is fun because they made sushi or everything! veggies, salmon (cooked, cream cheese, chicken) is funny! sometimes the twins buy a portion and divide, you know Esperanza is veggie (only eat fish and veggies) and Ditto lover meat and chicken)
    xoxoxo

    I never make sushi here maybe some day a veggie sushi:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would probably eat a veggie sushi and enjoy it Gloria! It's just the idea of raw fish I can't abide! lol xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was absolutely delicious and we really enjoyed it. I did add a little extra ginger to the sauce and loaded the dish up with veggies. In addition to the celery and cabbage, I added carrots, water chestnuts, bean sprouts and baby corn. I also added some tofu for added protein. I think chicken, beef or prawns would go well with it as well. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie! Loved your additions! I am so pleased you enjoyed! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!