Glazed Meat Loaf Burgers

Friday 19 September 2014

 photo SAM_7156_zps9f169b8f.jpg    

We had the Missionary Elders over for dinner the other night.   They are always such nice young lads.   I love to have them in our home and I do so love to spoil them.   I usually try to cook them something which reminds them of home.   They both really enjoyed this and have requested the recipe from me so that they can either make it for themselves  or pass it on to their mums/girlfriends when they get home.


 photo SAM_7150_zps0d1eed04.jpg

That always makes me really happy to know that they have enjoyed what I have prepared for them.  I do make good meatloaf if I don't say so myself.  I was never overly fond of my mother's meatloaf when I was growing up and my recipe that I use is one which I have perfected through the years, using ingredients and techniques which I have found to be quite successful.

  photo SAM_7155_zps50d22cde.jpg

You can, of course, cook this in a large loaf tin, increasing the baking time by a good half an hour or more, but I find that it can be really fun to do meatloaf in smaller shapes from time to time, which lessens the cooking time and still results in a very moist dish.

 photo SAM_7148_zpsf32371ea.jpg

With the bacon wrapped around these prior to baking, they somewhat resemble tournedos . . .  you know those expensive filet steaks?   Well, I am happy to say that these are just as enjoyable, or maybe even more so because they are just loaded with flavour!  There are no chunks of anything in them as I blitz everything smooth.  (Kids hate lumps and I have a texture thing myself with lumps.)  Flavoured with garlic, green pepper, onion and cheese . . .

  photo SAM_7149_zps6ff82e40.jpg

The egg, milk and cheese help to keep them moist and juicy . . .  and that bacon adds a nice smokey flavour.  The glaze and a bit of extra cheese scattered over all tip these over the top to being just that tad bit more special don't you think?  The extra green pepper on top was simply a garnish . . .  to dress them up like.   The plates were licked clean! I love it when that happens!

 photo SAM_7144_zps42d48271.jpg

*Glazed Meat Loaf Burgers*
Makes 8 servings
Printable Recipe 

Your favourite meal in a burger sized individual portion.  Wrapped in bacon and sweetly glazed.  These always go down a real treat.    

120g of round buttery crackers made into crumbs (about 2 cups)
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 sweet green pepper, cut into chunks
1 fat clove of garlic
2 medium free range eggs, beaten
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 pound lean ground pork
120g of grated strong cheddar cheese (1 cup)
2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup whole milk
1 package of smoked streaky bacon, (you will need around 16 slices)

To glaze:
1/2 cup of tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
2 TBS soft light brown sugar, packed
a handful of grated cheddar cheese to top 

 photo SAM_7146_zps423c1b15.jpg

Place the onion, garlic, green pepper, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard powder, salt, pepper and milk into a blender.  Blitz until smooth. 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Line a large baking tray with foil.  Butter the foil.

Place the meats, cheese and cracker crumbs into a large bowl.  Pour the mixture from the blender over top.  Mix all together lightly with your hands, until well combined.  Divide into 8 equal portions.  Shape each into a ball and then flatten the balls.  Wrap pieces of bacon around the outside edge of each patty to cover.  Secure with wooden toothpicks. Place onto the baking tray.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.  Whisk together the glaze ingredients until well mixed.  Remove the meatloaf from the oven and brush this mixture over all.  Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes until glazed.  Remove from the oven and scatter some more cheese on top, allow the heat from the patties to melt the cheese, or return to the oven just long enough to melt the cheese.  Remove the toothpicks and serve. 

To Cook as a Whole loaf:   do all as above except press the mixture into a well buttered large loaf tin.  Lay bacon strips, cut in half crosswise over the top to cover.   Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and brush on the glaze.  Return to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until well glazed and cooked through.

7 comments

  1. Oh my! I love meatloaf and your little meatloaf burgers look absolutely delicious. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Sheila! Another good thing about them is if you are an couple of empty nesters or singletons, you can wrap the extra's and freeze them to thaw out at a later date! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacque's mom made a very similar recipe..He always loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Since my fiance left and I'm on my own, I haven't been cooking much since it's just me. This is perfect, I can freeze some and have them available when I have a meatloaf craving. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think most men like this Monique! It's "Man Food!" xx

    Glad to help Christie! As empty nesters we make a lot of smaller meals, or divide things up and freeze for later use! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always on a lookout for a good meatloaf recipe. I will be making this ASAP! Thanks! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome Valerie! I hope that you all like it! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!