The Stack with Leerdammer

Friday 28 August 2015

 photo DSCN3003_zps32rvqzts.jpg

I was recently invited to become part of the 2015 Better with Leerdammer Blogger team. As a member of the team I would be challenged to create a sandwich with the ingredients provided for five days running. I am a big fan of Leerdammer and so for me, this is a delicious challenge to fulfil! I also love sandwiches! This is a definite win/win situation! This is Day Five!  The final day!


 photo DSCN3004_zpsqn5rfnaa.jpg

The ingredients list for day five was:  Stone Bread, Butter, Curly Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato, Micro Herbs, Leerdammer Original, Relish, Olives, Pickle.

I used everything with the exception of Micro Herbs and Pickle.   I had no micro herbs and I didn't think the pickle would work well with the relish.  I did make my own hot pickled peppers however, using the onions and peppers I had been sent to use during the whole week.  It's that not waste thing.

  photo DSCN3005_zpsczxhosci.jpg

And then I just stacked everything.   Relish (fruity pepper relish) on the bottom, then thinly sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced cucumbers, he Leerdammer cheese, my hot pickled peppers, lettuce, sliced onions . . .  stacked between two tasty slices of buttered bread.

 photo DSCN3006_zpse8jugo8i.jpg

It was simple and it was very tasty.   You do need to plan ahead a bit with this as the peppers need to marinate for 24 hours.  So worth it though.

  photo DSCN3009_zpswxt2c91s.jpg

*Hot Pickled Peppers*
Makes 1 quart/litre jar
I love these.   You make them one jar at a time.  Will keep in a jar in the fridge for up to a week. 

1/2 small red onion, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch thick slices
ice water
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
225ml of white vinegar (1 cup)
225ml of water (1 cup)
6 TBS sugar
2 TBS kosher salt
1/2 tsp dried crushed red chillies (crushed red pepper) 

Place the onion slices in a bowl of ice water to cover.  Leave for 10 minutes and drain.  Put the onion slices and bell pepper strips into a 1 litre/quart canning jar.  Bring the remaining ingredients to the boil in a small saucepan over medium high heat.  Stir to dissolve the sugar.   Pour over the vegetables in the jar.  Let stand, uncovered, for one hour.  Cover and chill for 24 hours.   They can now be used.  You can keep them for up to one week.

 photo 8853929885726_zps19kbp9rf.jpg

The cheese used in today's Sandwich was Leerdammer Original.   The popular classic convinced since 1978 with its mild-nutty taste: smooth, creamy LEERDAMMER® in handy sandwich-sized slices.

I want to thank Leerdammer for giving me the opportunity to rise to this tasty challenge.  I really do like Leerdammer Cheese.  Someone dare to suggest earlier this week that it had no flavour?   I have to say I totally do NOT agree with that statement.  Leerdammer is sweet, mild and nutty.  I love it!  A good cheese doesn't have to slap you in the face to be a good cheese.  If you are looking for sweet, mild and nutty, Leerdammer is the perfect choice!

2 comments

  1. Looks delicious! Though my husband would want to know 'where's the meat?!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men! What you going to do Paula! I'd probably enjoy a slice of ham or turkey in this myself, but I had to go with the ingredients I was given, and make the best of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!