Pancetta, Egg, Avocado & Tomato Sandwich

Tuesday 13 October 2015

 photo DSCN3623_zpsfhgtcnyf.jpg

I made the most delicious open face sandwich today.   Oh, but I died and went to heaven when I tucked into this.   The "Peat" sandwich . . .  or . ..  the Pancetta, Egg, Avocado and Tomato Sandwich.  A deliciously layered open face delight that isn't really all that bad for you!

 photo DSCN36231_zps762bfnz8.jpg

Oh yes, I know  . . . Avocado is high in fat . . .  but it's good fat, and they are considered to be a super food, and in indulging in one of these you are really only eating 1/4 of an avocado, so it's not bad at all . . .

 photo DSCN3624_zpsdcyce8xd.jpg

Then of course  . . .  there is the pancetta, but it's sliced very thin . . .  and there are only two very thin slices on each sandwich . . .

 photo DSCN3625_zpszrreclkk.jpg

Lots of chopped cherry tomatoes . . .  for colour and sweetness . . .

 photo DSCN3626_zpsychluzjd.jpg

Topped of with a perfectly fried free range egg . . .  crispy laced about the edges  . . .

 photo DSCN3627_zpsrzyw2omn.jpg

And cooked just enough so that  when you lightly tear it with your knife all of that golden yolk dribbles down the edges like a gilded waterfall of unctuousness . . .

 photo DSCN3628_zpssvlzctpr.jpg

All layered on a slice of lightly toasted seeded whole wheat bread.  What's not to love about any of this?   Tuck in!!  Very satisfying.

 photo DSCN3629_zpsuwyle5wp.jpg


*Peat Breakfast Sandwich*
Pancetta, Egg, Avocado and Tomato
Serves 4

A delicious open face sandwich that is low on the GI index and so very delicious.  Very low carb. 

8 slices of pancetta bacon
1 large Hass avocado
the juice of 1/2 lemon
fine sea salt
a punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered
4 thick slices of multigrain whole wheat bread
4 large free range eggs
freshly ground black pepper


 photo DSCN3630_zpsbvu6obme.jpg

First make the avocado.   Peel and mash until fairly smooth, but with a few chunks. Stir in the lemon juice and some salt to taste.  (I mash mine on the cutting board with a fork and then scrape it into a bowl.  It works a charm.)

 photo DSCN3631_zpsmjpphsae.jpg


Grill the pancetta until crisp in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.   This won't take very long, depending on how thick your bacon is.  Set aside and keep warm.

 photo DSCN3633_zpszsf0cm8m.jpg


Break the eggs into the hot skillet.  Season lightly with salt and black pepper and cover with a lid.  Cook until the edges are crisp and the whites are set, whilst the yolks are still runny.  (Unless you don't like runny eggs.  If you don't, then you can flip them over and cook for a bit longer.)


 photo DSCN3636_zpslolqbdol.jpg

Toast the slices of bread in the toaster and then lay them out on 4 heated plates.  Spread 1/4 of the mashed avocado over each and top with 1/4 of the tomatoes and two slices of pancetta.  Top each with a fried egg and serve immediately!

 photo DSCN3638_zpsdgczcuiw.jpg

Calories:  344
Carbs:  43.3g
Sugars: 14.2g
Protein:  17.2g

10 comments

  1. this looks amazing..m a fan of egg sandwiches .. i have a question.. u said place the toasted bread on heated plates. how does one heat the plates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manju! I always heat my plates. The food stays hotter longer. I just heat them in my top oven for a short period of time at a low temperature. I usually put it on very low and then pop them in for about 10 or 15 minutes before I serve dinner, etc. They are not hot enough to burn anyone, but just hot enough to keep the food warm. xo

      Delete
    2. sounds like an awesome idea. coz wen m constructing a sandwich on a toasted bread on a plate, the bread goes soggy from its own steam.. i think heated plate will keep it crisp..thanks for the idea

      Delete
  2. Oh yes;) Delish..

    we heat our plates too..staring last week..except can you believe it was 100 on our deck!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is really hot Monique! We had to have our heat on this morning! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Mmmm this looks REALLY good Marie - right up my street!! Definitely adding to my brunch/lunch/supper list ;). I adore avocado even though it is high in (good) fat and will probably do poached eggs as I love them.

    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis (my mum too was recently diagnosed borderline diabetic - if that's possible), but thank you for all the healthy calorie counted recipes as a consequence. You seem to be doing brilliantly with your new regime (which I'm sure is very challenging at times) - well done Marie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria! This was really good and felt like a real indulgence for me! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! You made my day! It is a challenge and sometimes I feel a bit bummed about it, but I think I am doing okay so far! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh, my, that looks absolutely scrumptious! Much better than a plain old BLT.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!