Spanish Cake

Monday 2 May 2016


Spanish Cake

 I have no idea at all why this is called Spanish Cake.   There doesn't seem to be anything particularly Spanish about it.  

I only know that it has always been called Spanish Cake.   It is flavoured with lots of cinnamon and topped with a Maple Icing. 

You would think that it should be called Canada cake, but its not.  Its quite simply Spanish cake.


Spanish Cake


Its a rather old recipe which has been  kicking about in my Big Blue Binder for a very long time. That means that this is a tried and true, and a favourite recipe.

I probably picked up somewhere along my travels across Canada. Possibly from one of my friends, but it was so long ago that I can no longer remember where or when. I only know that its delicious.

Spanish Cake




It is buttery and moist. It has a lovely cinnamon flavour, but it is not a large cake. It is a very moreish cake, which more than makes up for its lack of size.  

This is a cake you will find yourself wanting to cut a slice from again and again . . . and maybe even again. I once cooked it three times in one week. (Don't judge me, lol)


Spanish Cake


It's a single 8 inch square layer . . .  topped with a maple sugar frosting that you pour over the cake while the icing is slightly warm. You do it when it is warm so that it spreads out easily across the cake.

 You could use soft light brown sugar if you cannot find maple sugar.   I am partial to the flavour of maple myself.


Spanish Cake

I did  manage to buy it in a shop here in the UK.  I think it was Asda, but I can't remember for sure.  You can also buy it on Amazon.  

My sister sent me over a kilo of it a while back.  I treat it like gold.  But it is always worth using it for this delicious cake.  I like to top  the finished cake with toasted walnuts . . .  maple and walnuts go together like peas and carrots.


Spanish Cake


*Spanish Cake*
Makes one 8-inch cake


A lovely little cake flavoured with cinnamon and topped with a lucious maple cream icing. 

For the cake:
140g of plain flour (1 cup)
1tsp baking powder
 1 tsp ground cinnamon
120g of butter, at room temperature (1/2 cup)
190g of sugar (1 cup)
2 large free range eggs, separated
120ml milk  (1/2 cup)

For the icing:
60g butter (1/4 cup)
80g of maple sugar (1/2 cup, can use 1/2 cup loosely packed brown sugar)
2 TBS milk
130g of icing sugar (1 cup)

Spanish Cake



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter an 8 inch square baking tin and line with baking paper.  Set aside.


Beat the egg WHITES until stiff and set aside.


Spanish Cake


Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl.  Set aside.  Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg YOLKS one at a time.   Beat in the flour along with the milk making alternate additions.  (3 dry and two wet)  Mix well.  
 
Fold in the egg whites.  Spread the batter in the prepared baking tin.  Bake in the heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top bounces back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  The cake should also have begun to pull away from the sides a bit.   
 
Remove from the oven.  Cool in the pan for five minutes then lift out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.


Place the butter for the icing in a saucepan and melt.  Add the maple sugar and heat gently over low heat for 2 minutes, until the sugar  has melted.  Add the milk.  Bring to the boil, then remove from the stove and let cool.  Beat in the icing sugar and spread onto the cooled cake.


Note - I like to sprinkle chopped toasted walnuts on top, but that is the Canadian in me liking the flavour of maple walnut.

Spanish Cake


 I hope you will make this cake.  When you do I think you will agree that Spanish or not, its one very delicious cake.   
 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

15 comments

  1. This sounds delicious. Never heard of maple sugar, will have to use brown, but might replace milk in icing with maple syrup to give more flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eleanor, I would not replace the milk wit maple syrup, you won't get the fudginess you want. You could add a few drops of maple flavoring at the end if you wanted to, or replace only half the milk with maple syrup. I can't vouch for how that will turn out however! xo

      Delete
    2. Thanks Marie, I will give that a go. Having visitors this weekend, this sounds ideal.

      Delete
    3. Oh, they are sure to love it Eleanor! I have made it twice this week. Last night I made it with brown sugar and maple flavouring. xo

      Delete
  2. Reminds me a bit of the caramel cake of yours I make:)The caramel icing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Bernideen. It's pretty special for sure! xo

      Delete
  4. My grandmother used to make a version of Spanish cake that was very much like this, major differences are 1 Tblsp of cinnamon and had walnuts. So pleased to see your version of the recipe. Truly a favorite that has been in our family for decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, this is truly a fabulous cake! The diamond and toasted walnuts make it very moreish! Xo

      Delete
  5. Very delicious cake recipe shared here. I tried this recipe at home..really tasty..
    Thanks a lot for sharing such recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie - made your Spanish Cake last week and it was a big hit. Wonderful flavors. Thanks as always for your dedicated postings. Lisa (Aunt Lil's Kitchen)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy it was enjoyed Lisa! Thanks for taking the time to let us know! xo

      Delete
  7. This looks to die for. I don't know if I can find the maple sugar here but even if I can't -- fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!