Warm Blueberry and Almond Muffins

Sunday 29 May 2016

 

Yayy!! It's the weekend!!  And a Bank Holiday weekend at that!  I know I don't work full time anymore and don't really have all that many pressing issues in my life during the week, except for whatever work I make for myself and my church duties, but I still like to pull out the stops a bit at the weekend, like anyone.




Of course Sunday is reserved for church, but  I do like to do a few things that I normally wouldn't do the rest of the week . . .  (weather permitting) or go for country walks, the seaside, etc.  That kind of thing.



It's also the day I like to have a bit of an extra treat for breakfast.  Something special you know . . . it's no fun watching the calories all week, if you don't have something special to look forward to at the weekend is it?  All work and no play and all that stuff!

 

I like to bake something special at the weekend, like these delicious Blueberry and Almond Muffins!   (And you know how very much I love, LOVE blueberries!)



There was a special on blueberries at the grocery store when I went there yesterday, a HUGE punnet of them for only £2.  What can I say . . . I loaded up on them!  My freezer is stogged full as we speak, and I am drooling over the future cakes and goodies I am going to be baking with them!



But . . . I digress  . . . Blueberry and Almond Muffins.  Moist with buttermilk deliciousness, and lightly spiced with mixed spice . . . that lovely combination of warm baking spices that makes all those baked goodies taste that little bit scrummier . . .

 

Stogged to the hilt full of lovely blueberries . . . they get almost jammy and even sweeter when they are baked.

 

Lovely almond flavour . . . both through the use of ground almonds in the batter and through that crunch sprinkle of almonds that you sprinkle over top before baking . . .

 

I was almost tempted to drizzle a lemon glaze over top . . . but then I thought . . . why mess with perfection.

 

These babies . . . well . . . they are perfect just as they are.



*Warm Blueberry and Almond Muffins*
Makes 12 medium muffins
Printable Recipe

Quick and easy to prepare for a weekend breakfast or brunch.  Especially lovely served warm with a hot drink, or cold orange juice.

200g of plain flour (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground mixed spice (see recipe to make your own
in my right hand side bar)
50g ground almonds (generous 1/2 cup)
175g of sugar (1 scant cup)
1 medium free range eggs
300ml of buttermilk (1 1/3 cup)
50g of butter, melted (3 1/2 TBS)
250g of fresh blueberries (about 2 cups)
15g of chopped almonds to top (2 TBS)

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Line a 12 cup medium muffin pan with paper liners.  Set aside.

Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a large bowl.  Whisk in the ground almonds and sugar.  Beat together the egg, buttermilk and melted butter in another bowl.  Stir this into the dry ingredients, mixing only to combine.  Fold in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, dividing it evenly amongst them.  They should be roughly 2/3 full.  Sprinkle some of the chopped almonds on top of each.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.  Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cook for several minutes before serving.  Serve warm.

4 comments

  1. My kind of muffins and I love not working full time now.Happy bank holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! I love not working full-time as well. I wish I had worked more when I was younger however. I might have had a pension were that the case. Oh well, we never think we are going to get old! xoxo

      Delete
  2. These look so good. I like the idea of chopped almonds in the batter. I don't have three day weekends anymore either. Guess every weekend is a three day weekend for me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are great muffins Carol! That's the problem with retirement Carol, all the days get intermingled! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!