Crock Pot Marinara Sauce

Monday 29 August 2016

  photo DSCN8764_zpsr1lrlya0.jpg

I love this time of year when we blessed enough to be enjoying an abundance of fresh local produce!  I grew my own tomatoes this year and I have to say I did a really great job of it!  (Not to brag or anything!)  I took advantage of some of them, as well as some which I bought to make up the difference, to make a delicious homemade crock-pot marinara sauce.

 photo 20150622-tomato-guide-roma-shutterstock_zpsjifsau34.jpg

There is no greater taste on earth than fresh garden tomatoes, picked and eaten on the day with the warmth of the sun still on their skins.  A delicious sauce made with them is also a real treat and even more so when you take advantage of the slow cooker and let it do all the work for you!

 photo DSCN8765_zpsqavrstby.jpg

I like to peel my tomatoes first. It's quite easily to do.  You just cut a small x into the base of the tomato opposite the stem end and plunge them into boiling water for a couple minutes, scoop them out into cold water and you will notice the skin already beginning to peel back from the x.  Just take a sharp knife and the skins should slip right off with no problem.

 photo DSCN8767_zpswsoshd1b.jpg

I also like to scrape out and discard the seeds before cooking.  This peeling and scraping makes a bit more work, but it saves work at the end.  You can just cook the sauce with the skins and seeds, but then you would have to put it through a food mill at the end and to me it is just simpler to remove them from the very beginning.

 photo DSCN8769_zpsparzh5fl.jpg

I also prefer my sauce to be a bit on the chunky side rather than pureed, so its just what works best for me. The longer you cook it, the thicker it gets, and the more concentrated the flavours.

 photo DSCN8770_zps02njo8mj.jpg

I like to sweeten mine with a bit of honey, but you can leave this out as well if your tomatoes aren't that sharp.  For myself, I really enjoy a bit of sweetness.   In any case I do hope you will give this a go and that you will enjoy it!  If you don't have your own grown tomatoes, you could substitute 4 small tins of chopped tomatoes (14 ounce tins/400g), or two larger ones, undrained. (28 ounce tins)  Enjoy!

 photo DSCN8767_zpswsoshd1b.jpg


*Crock-Pot Marinara Sauce*
Makes 2 pints or 4 cups

This makes a great all round tomato sauce with lovely flavour.   The longer you cook it the thicker it will get.  I think it is delicious.  I like to freeze it in half pint/1 cup containers.  It's a great way to use up the glut of tomatoes in the garden! 

 5 to 6 pounds ripe plum tomatoes
60ml red wine (1/4 cup)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 medium onion,  peeled and finely chopped
1 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 bay leaf
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
1 TBS chopped fresh basil
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and black pepper to taste
1 TBS honey to sweeten if desired 

Prepare your tomatoes by cutting an x in the bottom of each and blanching them for 2 minutes in boiling water.  Remove and plunge into cold water.  Peel and discard the skins.  (The skins should slip off very easily.) Cut into quarters.  Scrape out and discard any seeds.   Place into a large crockpot along with the garlic, onions, carrots, olive oil and herbs.  Drizzle with the wine and olive oil. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.  Mash the tomatoes down with a potato masher.   Cover again and cook for a further 4 to 6 hours until thickened.  Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and pepper flakes.  Add the honey and heat through. 

 photo DSCN8768_zpsziqyzjh0.jpg 
As the Italians would say Buon Appetito!!

4 comments

  1. We've been able to pick cherry tomatoes for a few weeks but now the slicing tomatoes are ripening and I'll be inundated in a couple of weeks! I'm not complaining but I'm definitely scouting recipes for putting them up. Since we didn't grow paste tomatoes, I think this slow-cooker recipe will be just what we need. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will enjoy it Kate! I just love this time of year! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!