Sticky Maple Bangers with Irish Champ

Monday 16 January 2017


Bangers and Mash have to be Todd's favourite meal of all time.   He is a meat and potatoes man through and through.  If both are on the menu then he is a very happy camper.  He hasn't been feeling the greatest lately.  Very, very tired.  He is a very thin man to begin with and it is a struggle to keep the weight on for him.  (I wish!)  In any case I decided to make him a comfort meal consisting of Sticky Maple and Mustard Glazed Bangers with Irish Champ! 



Champ is an Irish Potato Dish consisting of mashed potatoes with warm milk, spring onions and butter beaten into them.  It's so tasty.   The Irish know how to do potatoes and do them well!


They used to serve it in a bit bowl, hot from the stove with a big knob of butter melting into the middle of it so that the family could dip their pieces of bread into the butter and scoop up some potatoes to eat with it at the same time.   


 Mmmmm . . .  look at that knob of butter melting down into that hot oniony mash, gilding and sinking into all the crevices . . .  I can see why they would want to scoop it up with a piece of bread.  That would be a carb lovers idea of heaven on earth!


Reminds me of one of my favourite books when I was a girl,  The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.   I seem to recall them sitting around a bowl of potatoes and enjoying them with slices of brown bread.  Potatoes, I think, are a dish of the poor.   Poor or rich, I love them and I have to say that nothing makes me feel richer than sitting down to a bowl of potatoes, especially when prepared in this way!


Much too delicious to be smothered in gravy.  Instead I simply pan grilled some sausages, nice and meaty ones and then glazed them with a bit of pure Maple syrup and some grainy Dijon mustard.   Sticky and sweet. 


 It doesn't take a lot of Maple syrup to glaze them and they went just beautifully with the Champ.


Back home you can get Maple flavoured sausages.  They were always my favourites.  I love Maple anything.  Maple Walnut Icecream is my favourite kind of ice cream.  I think it is my dad's favourite also.   Anyways, this is my Canadian twist on an old Irish favourite of bangers and champ!


 
*Sticky Maple & Mustard Bangers with Champ*
Serves 4
 
 
An old Irish favourite with a Canadian twist.  Deliciously simple. 
 

8 prime meaty well flavoured thick Sausages
2 TBS Maple Syrup
1 tsp grainy mustard
For the champ:
1 kg (2 1/4 pounds) floury potatoes, peeled and halved
225ml whole milk (1 cup)
1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced (6 to 8 scallions)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
50g (2 ounces) butter
a knob of butter to serve




Place the potatoes into a large pot and fill with enough cold water to cover.  Lightly salt the water, bring to the boil and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. 
 

In the meantime place the sausages in a lightly oiled skillet and cook over medium heat, turning frequently, until browned and cooked through, about 16 to 17 minutes.  Add the maple syrup and mustard and continue to cook for several more minutes over low heat,  while you make the champ, turning them frequently to coat them in a sticky glaze.




To make the champ, drain the tender potatoes well.  Return them to the pot and shake over the residual heat of the burner to dry them out.    Place a clean tea towel over top to absorbe any access moisture.  Place the milk into a large glass measuring cup along with the spring onions.  Heat gently in the microwave for about 1 minute.   Mash the potatoes well with the butter until smooth.  Stir in the milk and spring onions to combine well together.  Season with salt and white pepper.  Pile into a bowl and top with a knob of butter.  Serve immediately along with the glazed sausages.


This is comfort food, pure and simple.   It was the perfect supper for a cold Sunday afternoon.  I hope you will give it a go!  Bon Appetit!

2 comments

  1. It's the kind of meal Jacques likes also Marie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men do love their meat and potatoes! Doesn't Jacques do his own smoked meats and saucisson Monique? I seem to remember something! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!