Pizza Scrolls

Tuesday 28 February 2017


When my children were growing up they used to love the frozen Pizza Pockets.  I also used to make them from scratch, but in reality they took a lot of time by the time I made the yeast dough etc. so frozen was just easier.   I wish I had thought of these Pizza Scrolls back then.  It would have made life a lot simpler!



Puff pastry is an ingredient which I keep in the freezer all the time. The all butter one.  Its such a convenient store cupboard staple to have in the house.  It comes in handy for all sorts, such as these tasty Pizza Scrolls.



The pastry is simply spread with a sun dried tomato pesto, which has plenty of flavour and then layered up with some of my favourite pizza ingredients. Parmesan Cheese, chopped hotdogs (but you could use chopped pepperoni for a spicier version, or even chopped ham), finely chopped red onions, some sharp cheddar cheese . . . chopped black and green olives . . .  then rolled, sliced and baked until golden brown.


Served warm with some homemade pizza sauce for dipping they go down a real treat!  So simple. So easy to make.  So delicious!


 
*Pizza Scrolls*
Makes 6
 
Flakey buttery puff pastry wrapped around your favourite pizza fillings and served with a delicious pizza sauce for dipping.  Quick and easy to make and very tasty. 

1 sheet all butter puff pastry
4 TBS sun dried tomato pesto
6 TBS finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 all beef frankfurter, chopped
a handful each of black and green olives, chopped
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
120g grated strong cheddar cheese (I use a mix of white and orange)
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp water
Your favourite pizza sauce or homemade as below




Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper.  Set aside.


Unroll the puff pastry and lightly press out to smooth with a floured rolling pin.  Spread the sun dried tomato pesto over the surface leaving 1/2 inch border along one long side.   Measure out 2 TBS of Parmesan cheese and set aside.  Leaving the 1/2 in border intack, sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the pesto.   Scatter on the frankfurter, olives and onion.  Scatter the cheddar cheese over top evenly.  Brush the empty border with some of the beaten egg yolk.   Roll up tightly from the opposite long side to the egg yolk washed side, encasing all of the filling ingredients. Press the egg washed seam tightly to adhere to the main body of the roll.  Using a really sharp knife, cut into six rolls.  Place them evenly spaced onto the prepared baking sheet, cut side down and pressing lightly down with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly.  Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.


Bake in the heated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and flakey..


Warm your pizza sauce while the rolls are baking.  Serve the hot pizza scrolls with the sauce for dipping.


The pizza sauce recipe makes enough for two large pizzas.  If you don't use it all, it can be frozen for up to six months in an airtight container.




 *Marie's Pizza Sauce*
Makes enough for two pizzas 


This is a really good pizza sauce recipe. After experimenting through the years with different types of tomatoes, sauces and spices I think I have come up with what is a real winner. Delicately spiced. The sauce is what makes a pizza in my opinion! 


415g of tomato passata (seived tomatoes) (2 cups)
60g tomato paste (sundried tomato paste is nice sometimes for a change) (1/4 cup)
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp chinese five spice powder
seasalt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 



 Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid, slightly ajar and simmer on low for about 15 minutes. Let cool before using.


Quick, simple, easy and delicious.  You can't ask for more than that!  Bon Appetit!
 

8 comments

  1. I have made your sauce w/ the Chines 5 spice..it is very good! Pretty pinwheels..oh me and pizza and pasta..;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too Monique. I love pizza and pasta! These are lovely. I bet your boys would enjoy! xo

      Delete
  2. Yum! These look wonderful and simple to prepare. Thank you for sharing and have a marvellous day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound lovely and I must try them soon.

    One query - how big are the sheets of puff pastry? I know that the ones we get here in Sweden are a very different size from the Aussie Pampas Puff Pastry sheets I was used to, so I must always make allowances for the different size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are about 9 inches by 12 inches Marie. I think you will really like these! Xo

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that, Marie. That's about the same size as here in Sweden so I'll give these a try on the weekend and see what the kids think.

      Delete
    3. I have my fingers crossed Marie! I hope the kids enjoy! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!