Vanilla Sauced Bread Pudding

Sunday 19 February 2017

 photo SAM_8957_zpsv7nsxuv9.jpg

I think Bread Pudding has to be the Toddster's favourite all time dessert, next to apple pie.   So, this week, when I found myself having a bit too much bread in the house due to the Toddster's having bought the wrong kind of bread when he picked it up for me (men ARE from Mars!)  I knew exactly what to do with the excess!



  photo SAM_8961_zps96rf48xt.jpg

I confess I am quite fond of it too.    Not only is bread pudding quite easy to make, but it also makes a fabulously delicious use of stale bread!  It's a win/win situation.

 photo SAM_8962_zpswckaange.jpg

This is a delicious version stogged full of not one, not two, but three kinds of dried fruits.   Cherries, blueberries and cranberries.   Lots of berrylicious going on . . . and then there is the added nutty crunch of chopped toasted pecans!

  photo SAM_8963_zpsvofc4bys.jpg

But that's not all  . . .  no, that's not all.  There is an added dimension to this dessert that you will not want to miss out on!

 photo SAM_8964_zpsgmig6kei.jpg

This pudding's crowning glory is this delicious Vanilla Sauce that you spoon, warm . . .  over top of the warm pudding as you serve it out.   This is the gilding on the lily!

  photo SAM_8965_zpszyultsfr.jpg

You will NOT want to pass this by!   Trust me on this!

 photo SAM_8967_zpsz3rdie5q.jpg


*Vanilla Sauced Bread Pudding*
Serves 4

This is a delicious pudding.  Stogged full of fruit and nuts, it has a deliciously rich vanilla sauce which you spoon over when serving. Recipe can be doubled easily. 

1/2 French loaf, cut into bite sized cubes (about 4 cups)
a small handful of dried cranberries
a small handful of dried cherries
a small handful of dried blueberries
a small handful of chopped toasted pecans
115 ml of heavy cream (1/2 cup)
225ml of whole milk (1 cup)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
pinch salt
65g of caster sugar (1/3 cup) 
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract 

For the sauce:
195g of caster sugar (1 cup)
125g of butter (1/2 cup)
125ml of double cream (1/2 cup)
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out

 photo SAM_8969_zpsu5kmbxfh.jpg 

First make the pudding.  Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark .   Butter a 9 inch square baking tin.   Set aside.

Toss the bread cubes, fruit and nuts together in a bowl with the cinnamon and nutmeg.  Whisk together the cream, milk, eggs, vanilla and salt.  Pour this over the bread cubes, strring to coat.  Allow to stand for about 10 to 15 minutes so that the milk mixture is almost absorbed.  Pour into the prepared baking tin, pressing down lightly.   Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and a metal knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.  Let stand for 10 to 15 minuts before serving.

While the pudding is cooking, add the sugar, butter, cream and vanilla pod and seeds to a small saucepan.    Bring to a slow boil, then reduce to a very slow simmer.    Cook over very low heat, without boiling, for 15 minutes.   Remove from the heat, discard the vanilla pod.  Kee warm until you are ready to serve the pudding.

To serve the pudding cut into squares.  Spoon some sauce over top of each serving and pass the rest at the table.


I'd say Todd is a very lucky man, wouldn't you?  Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. This sounds and looks wonderful. Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was saying earlier this winter she was hungry for bread pudding. Since my dad is diabetic she hasn't been keeping much bread in the house at any time. This might be something nice to have in the refrigerator for them when they arrive home the end of the month from being snowbirds. (the bums). I have a question, I'm pretty sure unless I buy online I'm not going to see "double cream" in a grocery store, unless I go into DC somewhere. Would our heavy cream be the equivalent? Also, I'm going to assume unless you tell me differently I can bake this in a pottery baking dish, as in my Longaberger baking dish? I like using this type of baking container for a dessert along this line as it looks just fine to sit on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my late response Pam. I never got notification of your comment and only just discovered it. Heavey cream is the equivalent of double cream, yes. I can't answer to your baking dish question because I don't know what they are, but I can't see why you couldn't use a glass or pottery dish if you wawnted to. xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!