Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Thursday 30 March 2017


Well, I did a bit of housekeeping on here yesterday and I lost my old blog theme.  I did save the html to a word document, but I have no idea of how to sort that type of thing.  I managed to keep my header, so I guess I should be happy for that.  And I guess I do like the cleaner look without any busy background, and I like the way the blog posts are showing.  It is a neater, tidier look and I can live with that!  Growing pains, they are never easy are they?


Over these past couple of  months not a lot of new cooking has been going on due to the fact I was writing my cookbook, but I manage several new recipes a week, which was pretty good I thought.  I cooked a few cringe worthy things also that I would never show you.  Thing which I thought might be really tasty, but which ended up being blecch.  I hate it when that happens, but it does every now and than. 


This banana loaf recipe is one I got from The Complete Canadian Living Cook Book.  I have had the book for yonks, but haven't really cooked a lot from it.  I have made it my goal this year to try to cook more things from the books I have, and if I find a book that doesn't have a lot of redeemable recipes in it, then I am getting rid. Life is far too short to carry excess baggage, like too many cookery books.


This is a fairly decent banana loaf. It is pretty dense however and heavy. So I suppose whether you like it or not will depend on what you are looking for. If you want dense, then you have struck gold. If you are wanting more cakey, keep looking  . . . 


I do have some really good Banana Loaf recipes on this site.  This one is extremely good and so is this one.


My absolute all-time favourite one is this one, and that's probably because it is incredibly moist from the sour cream and more cake like. I like cake. My ex-bosses husband used to request this once a week.  He liked it toasted and buttered.  It is very good.


There are plenty of chocolate chips in this one I am showing you today.  It is not overly sweet either.  I used a really good quality chocolate chip, almost more bitter than sweet. I think milk chocolate chips would be better actually.  In any case it was very nice buttered and served with a hot drink.  I hope you will try it and then let me know what you think!



*Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf*
Makes one 2 lb loaf (9X5)
The tastiest thing to do with brown speckled bananas. 

280g plain flour (2 cups)
50g sugar (1/4 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
180g chocolate chips (1 cup)
4 large over-ripe bananas, mashed (2 cups)
125g butter, melted (1/2 cup)
60ml milk
2 large free range eggs, beaten 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter and line a 2 pound loaf tin (9 X 5  inches). 

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside. 

Mash the bananas and then stir in the milk, butter and eggs.  Pour this mixture over top of the dry mixture. Mix together just to blend. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes until well risen, golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.  

Leave to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, before tipping out onto a rack and cooling completely.



Note - I've been using those pan liners which are like muffin cups a lot lately. They are so simple to use and nothing sticks as they are silicone coasted. I highly recommend!

5 comments

  1. I thought u changed the look of ur blog on purpose! I had to look twice to see if it was ur blog. Lol. I think it's really nice and it's easier for me to comment on esp.with this crappy phone. I love banana bread esp. with nuts. I bet it's yummy with choc bits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot cleaner J! I am getting used to it! But I am still not happy with the header. This banana bread is not bad, but not my favourite! I like my Cranberry and Walnut one better! xo

      Delete
  2. I think it's lovely ..and clean and sharp and bright..the header does not show for me..there is a blurred background..cookie maybe?

    Not sure..
    Popular posts is an x..

    Just trying to help here..because I will need yours too..we have no clue what others are seeing..LOVE the Clean:)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The header only shows on the home page Monique! If you click on home, it will show up. For some reason Blogger is not showing my photobucket photos any more. I am going to have to try to go through all of my posts and fix them. That is why some of the posts you only see an x. The blurred background photo is the banana bread huge, I can't figure out why. It is a learning curve for sure! Thanks for your input. it is very helpful! xo

      Delete
  3. Site looks o.k to me , I,m just sitting in my study with an old fashioned t.v like computer and key board on the desk lol !
    Anyway Today I,m making your other Banana loaf recipe ...the *Banana Chocolate Chip Loaf*
    Makes one 2 lb loaf (9X5) ... as I just happened to have all the right ingredients and love it SO much ! It is great that you are doing smaller size recipes though , love that ! Have a beautiful day all ! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!