French Dip Au Jus

Monday 27 March 2017


  On Sundays if I am really on the ball, I like to throw something into the crockpot before I leave for church so that dinner is ready and waiting for us when we get home.  We're usually starving by that time.  I am much less inclined to munch on something I shouldn't if dinner is ready and waiting!  I reckon I am not alone in that! 
 


 I have to say that the French Dip is one of my favourite hot sandwiches.  I confess, I am not a real fan of  Pulled Pork.  I know that lots of people adore it.  I am also not a real fan of chicken in the slow cooker.  I know, once again . . .  lots of people adore it.   I do however like what the crock pot does to beef.


 Some of the cheaper cuts of beef lend themselves beautifully to slow cooking . . . the recipe itself calls for a sirloin tip roast, but I used a brisket.  I love the flavour of beef brisket, and this recipe renders it succulently moist and tender . . .  fork tender.


 The meat cooks for hours in a delicious au jus, which makes it beautifully flavourful and moist . . .  and also creates the sauce for dipping.   Can you say FABULOUS?


Fork tender beef, well flavoured, shredded . . .  and piled onto a nice soft hoagie bun and then topped with a slice of Swiss cheese . . .  the heat from the meat melting the cheese down into that tender succulent beef, but that's not all . . .  dipped into that beautiful sauce and eaten . . .  Sigh.   Bliss.  Pure Bliss.  Especially when you are absolutely famished and can't wait to eat!



*French Dip Au Jus*
Serves 12

Tender melt in your mouth beef, tucked into rolls, topped with Swiss cheese and served with the juices for dipping.   Fabulously simple.  It basically cooks itself.   

3 1/2 to 4 pound sirloin tip roast
450ml of beef broth (2 cups)
135g of soft light brown sugar (2/3 cup)
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
75ml of soy sauce (1/3 cup)
12 hoagie buns, split and toasted or not as desired
12 slices of Swiss cheese    



Place the roast in a slow cooker.   Stir together the broth, sugar, seasoning salt and soy sauce. Pour over the roast in the slow cooker.   Cover and cool on high for 1 hour, then reduce and cook on low for 9 hours. 

Remove the roast from the slow cooker, reserving the broth.   Shread the roast with two forks.  Place shredded meat on split hoagie buns, top with Swiss cheese and serve with reserved broth for dipping.

I hope you will give this a go and that when you do you all really enjoy it.  Simple and delicious.  Works for me beautifully!  Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. I order this quite a bit in restaurants, Marie...just love it.

    Are you on Pinterest...I don't see a way to Pin your recipes and they are all keepers.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, if you move your mouse over any one of my photos the pin it button shows up in the left hand corner! Hope this helps. I am on Pinterest. https://uk.pinterest.com/mariealicejoan/pins/
      Thanks! It makes me happy to know you see my recies as keepers! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!