Honey & Soy Baked Chicken

Friday 24 March 2017


Quick baked chicken recipes like this delicious Honey & Soy Baked Chicken are great recipes to have in your recipe repertoire.  Everyone needs a tasty recipe like this up their sleeves!  

It is so simple and so delicious and uses things I always have in the house, and I am betting that you do too!  Finger licking good!



 It's as simple to make as combining a few marinade ingredients in a heavy zip lock bag. You then add some chicken, smushing it around a bit in the bag.

After you let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours, you dump it all into a baking dish and bake it until it is deliciously meltingly tender.



I always buy my chickens whole when there is a deal on them. I then bring them home and cut them up, repackage them in serving size packs of legs, breasts, thighs, wings, etc. 

I then bang them into the freezer.  That way I not only save money, but always have a variety of chicken pieces at my finger tips ready to use.  I freeze the backs and necks for soup as well. It's win/win all around!  
 


 On this particular day I used a mix of drumsticks and thighs.   I guarantee you will love this marinade/sauce.   I

t's filled with lovely oriental flavors . . .  soy, honey, garlic, ginger . . . which bakes into a finger licking sticky glaze. 



 Wings would be really good done in this sauce as well.  I wouldn't do breasts, however, as the long cooking time would dry them out too much.  

Chicken breasts are not really suited to this type of dish at any rate.  You want a nice piece of chicken meat which gets succulent and tender under a long slow cook period that allows the marinade to cook down into that delicious rich and sticky glaze. 



*Honey and Soy Baked Chicken*
Serves 4
Simple and delicious.   A real family favorite. 

3 TBS olive oil
3 TBS dark soy sauce
5 TBS runny honey
4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
salt to taste
3 pounds of chicken pieces (I use thighs and drumsticks) 


Mix the olive oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, pepper and salt together in a large plastic food bag with a zip lock top.  Add the chicken pieces and smush them around a bit to coate well in the bag.   Close the bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate for half an hour to an hour.  (Obviously the longer you leave it the more the flavours permeate the chicken.)  Give it a smush every once in a while. 

When you are ready to cook it, preheat the oven to 220*C.425*F/ gas mark 7.   Dump the chicken into a large baking dish and separate the pieces.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Turn the pieces over and bake for a further 15 minutes.  Turn a final time and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes, until the skin is nicely crisped and the chicken juices run clear.   Serve hot or cold.



Finger licking good! I like to serve these with some steamed basamati rice and maybe some broccoli on the side, also lightly steamed. Bon Appetit! 

Honey & Soy Baked Chicken 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at mariealicejoan at aol dot com. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

7 comments

  1. This was the dish my mom made that I loved:) But she used VH sauce:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! We do a variation on this all the time. We usually use drumsticks as we can get packs of them on sale. Add a bit of sesame oil to add a little smokiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good Pat. Love your idea of adding sesame oil!

      Delete
  3. I made something similar last week as a stir fry, but didn't use honey. Instead I used chicken w. sauce and sesame oil and cooked onions with the garlic. I also marinaded the chicken first . Then put green beans, carrots, and broccoli in it that was left over. In other words I just winged it. Lol. It was very good though. Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I love winging it Jan! Your version sounds delicious! xo

      Delete
  4. My husband and I were just talking about making this and I asked him what he thought of adding some pineapple. I like Jan's idea of adding onions and carrots too. Broccoli would be perfect as a side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thst sounds lovely Esther! Pineapple would be a great addition! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!