Bacon,Potato,Tomato & Rocket Salad

Monday 29 May 2017


Its my oldest son's birthday today.  He is 42. I know . . .  its hard for me to believe that I have a son that old also!  Wasn't he just a babe in arms yesterday?  I was only 19 when he was born.  I wanted to be a mother more than anything in the world.  He made my dreams come true!  Happy Birthday son!  So what has that got to do with salad?  Nothing really, except that he is a brilliant cook in his own right!  That acorn did not fall far from this tree!


I love salad season.  I love making and eating salads.  I have never met a salad that I did not like!


I also love potatoes.  They are my favourite vegetable.  I have always loved them. I can't do low carb because I can't live without my potatoes!


Tomatoes are another love of mine.  Especially vine ripened tomatoes.  Fresh and sweet.  Some are sweeter than others.  I prefer home grown, but when I do have to buy them, I buy the best I can afford and leave them at room temperature. That brings out the best flavours in them.


Bacon . . .  who doesn't love bacon.  I think my love of bacon (and a good steak) would actually prevent me from becoming a vegetarian!


Baby Rocket, or arugula as it is it is known in North America is another favourite of mine.  I really enjoy its peppery, almost earthy flavour!


Goat Cheese  . . .  as a child I did not even know such a thing existed.  (All my cheese came dyed orange and wrapped in plastic.) Soft, spreadable tangy goat cheese with its very distinct flavour is another thing I really, really enjoy!


Finally good Balsamic Vinegar and olive oil, extra virgin, something else which never had a place in my childhood and which I love.  A good balsamic is rich and almost sweet and olive oil, peppery and rich.  Put all these things together and you have one of the tastiest potato salads you could ever want to eat.  This is a salad that I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE and LOVE! Try it. I think you will too!


*Bacon, Potato, Tomato & Rocket Salad*
with Goats Cheese
Serves 6 to 8
 
 
Delicious and colourful. This is best on the day made.  Don't add the rocket until just before you serve so that it doesn't wilt!  

2 pounds of small new potatoes
salt
4 slices thick cut lean smoked bacon, cut into lardons
1 cup ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half
(about a dozen)
2 large handfuls of baby rocket, washed, dried and chopped coarsely
115g of soft goats cheese, crumbled (4 ounces)
For the dressing:
2 TBS good quality Balsamic Vinegar
4 TBS good quality extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste 

Place the potatoes in a pot of lightly salted water to cover.  Bring to a boil and cook until they are tender, about 13 to 15 minutes.  Drain well and cool until you can handle them easily.  Cut into quarters and place them in a bowl.  Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour this over the potatoes, tossing to coat them well. 

Cook the bacon until crisp in a skillet over medium high heat.  Scoop out and drain on paper towelling.  Add to the potatoes along with the halved cherry tomatoes.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required.  Let stand at room temperature until you are ready to serve, adding the rocket to the salad just before you serve it, tossing to combine.  Sprinkle with the crumbled goats cheese and serve.


Simple. Delicious. Filled with lovely flavours. Quick and easy to make.  I hope that you will and that you will enjoy this as much as we do.  Bon Appetit!

3 comments

  1. Oh yes..but Feta:) Thank you for all the things you try then share w/ your approval:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feta would be great Monique! xo PS - You're welcome!

      Delete
  2. It looks delicious. I couldn't do low carb either, I'm waiting to harvest the first home grown potatoes of the season, yum yum. I agree about tomatoes, there are some very insipid specimens in supermarkets so I rarely buy them much preferring home grown.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!