Crispy Chicken Salad

Wednesday 28 June 2017


Oh dear, chicken two days in a row.  Forgive me!  I had some chicken breasts that I wanted to use up and I did not want to freeze them, so here you go, chicken two days in a row.   Two very different prepartions however!  But, this is also somewhat light and healthy and perfect for a light summer supper!


I don't know how it works, but slicing chicken breasts in half horizontally always seems to tenderize them, and of course it quickens the cook time, so this is also a supper that is very quick to put on the table!


The only faffy part is the pané-ing of the chicken.  ( A fancy French word for breading.) But even that isn't too difficult.


I use a vegetable peeler to cut my carrots into ribbons.   They give a nice look.   I also de-seed the tomatoes for this type of salad, when you don't want the tomato seed/juices diluting the dressing.


There's plenty of Parmesan cheese in the breading and then again in the dressing . . . giving it a lovely creaminess that goes very well with the tartness of the lemon.  Lemon and Parmesan . . .  a brautiful combination.

You can really stream-line things by using store bought breaded chicken if you wanted something really fast, but I happen to think those types of things are pretty tasteless.  I would rather bread my own . . . .


You can also use a ready-mix of salad leaves, but again . . .  I mix my own.  I would rather do it myself, wash it myself, mix it myself.  I find those store mixed leaves have a rather odd taste to them, and they don't last very long either. It seems you no sooner open a pack and they are going off!  In any case.  Give this a go.  I think you will really like it.




*Crispy Chicken Salad*
Serves 4

Crisp coated chicken served on a bed of salad greens with a punchy Lemon & Parmesan Dressing.  What's not to like? 

For the Salad:
6 cups of salad leaves
1 medium carrot, peeled and shaved
1 cucumber, trimmed and sliced
1 large tomato, cored and chopped
For the dressing:
3 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 TBS heavy cream (can also use sour cream, creme fraiche or plain yogurt)
2 TBS finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 TBS extra virgin olive oil
For the chicken:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast portions
sea salt and black pepper to taste
45g plain flour (1/4 cup)
1 large free range egg
180g panko bread crumbs (1 1/2 cups)
90g finely grated Parmesan Cheese (1/2 cups)
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS butter



 Cut the chicken breasts horizontally into two pieces each.  Pound lightly between some cling film.  Season lightly on both sides with salt and pepper.  Place the flour for the chicken into a shallow bowl. Whisk the egg in another shallow bowl.  Combine the bread crumbs and cheese in another shallow bowl.  Dip each chicken first into the flour, shaking off any excess, then into the egg and then into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly to coat well on each side.


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4. Have ready a baking sheet. 

Heat half of the oil and butter together in a large skillet.  Once the butter begins to foam, add half of the chicken pieces.  Fry until golden brown on both sides, taking about 2 minutes per side.  Transfer to the baking tray.  Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining chicken and oil/butter. When all have been browned and placed onto the baking tray, pop the tray into the heated oven and cook for a further 6 to 8 minutes until cooked through.  Remove from the oven and set aside. 

Make the dressing by whiksing the lemon juice, garlic, cream, cheese and seasoning together until smooth.  Whisk in the olive oil slowly until creamy.  Set aside. 

Mix the salad ingredients together in a bowl.  Add half of the dressing and toss to coat. Divide between 4 chilled plates.  Top each with a portion of chicken and drizzle the chicken with a bit more dressing.  Serve immediately.



This was beautiful enjoyed out on the patio beneath the umbrella with a nice breeze ruffling the hair. Todd is not such a salad freak, but I added a baked potato for him and he was happy.  Bon Appetit!

3 comments

  1. I love chicken Marie!
    Bring it on!

    I wish the mags weren't so darn expensive to mail to US. Lol.

    Ur cookbook will be out b4 u know it Marie! Yay! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so Jan! It certainly seems to be taking a lot longer than they initially proposed. I am taking the viewpoint that the wait will be more than worth it! Here's hoping! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!