Street Style BeefTacos

Wednesday 23 August 2017


I have never lived anywhere that they serve Street Tacos but I have long imagined what they might be like, and this tasty dish today is the result of my imagination going crazy over the years.  If I am not even close to what they are really like, don't burst my bubble, because I am really happy with these!!



The meat filling is not made from ground beef, but from beef steaks, thinly sliced and then chopped with a sharp knife into small chunks . . . and then marinated in the juice of a lime along some choice seasonings . . .  Tex Mex flavours, cumin, mild chili powder, garlic and onion powders . . .


This gets browned in a skillet with some chopped onion and a green chili, and then it is simmered long and slow over low heat until the meat is tender and falling apart . . .


I made my own Guacamole type of Avocado sauce to serve with them . . . oh boy but it was some good.  I could eat it with a spoon.


The Avocado I used for my Avocado cream was the Strong Roots Frozen Ripened Avocado halves! So convenient and easy to use. These Peruvian Avocado Halves (RRP £5.29) are perfectly ripened, pitted and freshly frozen.  With with a bag or two of these in the freezer it means smoothies and guacamole can be made at anytime along with anything else that requires avocado.  These are available at Whole Foods.  I think they're just beautiful!


The smooth coolness of that delicious Avocado Cream went so well with the slight heat of the Taco meat.  I don't like my food to bite me back and this had just a tiny bite that wasn't overly obnoxious to me.  You could add more chili if you want more heat of course!



I also made my own flour tortillas from scratch.  I love homemade tortillas.  I have been making them for years and years.  They are a hundred times tastier than the ready made ones and are really easy to make.  Mine never quite turn out round, but hey ho!  They always stretch out of shape when I lift them into the hot pan.  It's the flavour that matters most though, so no worries!  They are soft and delicious, with just the right number of brown blisters . . .  very, VERY good!

I set everything out "Taco Bar" style  . . .  with a variety of toppings . . .  chopped spring onions, sour cream, the avocado cream, chopped tomatoes, chopped ripe olives, shredded lettuce . . . and some grated jack cheese!


You could use Pepper Jack if you really want to kick up the heat.  Or add a bottle of hot sauce for those who really like things spicy, or pickled jalapenos . . . that's not me.  I am a lover of spicy but tame food.  ☺  Altogether these were, very, very nice!


*Street Style Beef Tacos*
Makes 8 nice big tacos
Printable Recipe 
 

Deliciously spiced meat filling in homemade tortillas with a beautifully favoured avocado topping.


For the meat filling:
2 pounds extra thin steak
the juice of one lime
2 onions, peeled and chopped
1 green chili, deseeded, trimmed and finely chopped
1  TBS mild chili powder or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt and black pepper to taste
non-stick cooking spray
 

for the Avocado topping:
2 frozen avocado halves, thawed
185g Green yogurt (3/4 cup)
3 TBS fresh lime juice
1 TBS white wine vinegar
1 tsp chipotle in adobo sauce or to taste
fine sea salt to taste
a handful of coriander leaves, chopped (cilantro)


For the tortillas:
280g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
180ml water (3/4 cup)
3 TBS olive oil


You will also need your preferred taco topping:
shredded lettuce, grated cheese, sliced spring onions, lime wedges,
sliced black olives, chopped fresh tomatoes, sour cream etc.


To make the beef filling.  Trim your thinly cut beef steaks of any fat or sinew along the edges, and in the middle if required.  Roll them up tightly and cut crosswise into thin strips with a really sharp knife.  Cut the strips into bits with the sharp knife.  You want 1/4 inch or so small bits.  Alternately coarsely chop in a food processor. You want it chopped into bits but not ground. 

Put the steak into a bowl and add the lime juice and all seasonings.  Let stand for about 15 minutes. Spray a large skillet with the cooking spray and heat.  Add the meat, onions and green chili.Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the meat is browned. Add about 1/4 cup of water and simmer over very low heat while you make the topping and tortillas, stirring every now and then.  Don't let it boil dry. By the end of that time the meat will be very tender.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required. 

Stir the flour and salt together in a bowl for the tortillas.  Mix together the water and olive oil.  Stir in with a fork. You will have a very sticky dough.   Tip out onto a well floured surface and knead for a minute or so.  Cover and let rest while you make the Avocado topping. 

Mash the avocados well.  Stir in the yogurt, lime juice, vinegar, chipotle chili, sea salt and coriander leaf.  Cover and set aside. 

Knead your tortila dough a couple more times and then divide into 8 even pieces, rolling each into a ball with your hands.   Roll each out on a generously floured surface, to a 7 inch circle, using a well floured rolling pin.  If you stack them together place a piece of cling film or paper in between. 

Heat a large nonstick skillet and coat with cooking spray.  Cook the tortillas one at a time.  Cook on one side until golden brown blisters appear, flip over and repeat on the other side.  This will take about 1 minute per side over medium heat. Keep warm while you cook the remaining ones.  

To serve, spread warm tortillas with the avocado sauce, top with a portion of meat, and your favourite toppings.  Fold over and enjoy!


It won't be long before I made these again.  I might even make them for the Missionaries next time they come for supper, doubling everything up of course!  They are sure to have hearty appetites if I set these down in front of them!  I count these as one of my favourite things so far that I have cooked this year!  Provecho!!!  (That's Mexican for Bon Appetit!)

Note - Although I was sent the Strong Earth Avocado Halves free for testing purpose and review, I was not required to write a positive review.  Any and all opinions are my own.

6 comments

  1. What a spread..I must try homemade tortillas agin..my first attempt was pitiful..LOve the idea of those avos..I bought some yesterday and they are in a brown paper bag..trying to hasten the ripening..I am in charge of guac for Friday ..a get together w/ fam.Never even knew you could freeze them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, apparently you can Monique! This is my first experience with them, and I highly recommend. They work beautifully! Embrace the mishapen tortilla! They taste the same and look more interesting! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I had a slice of avocado last year when my daughter was eating one. Now, I love avo and eat them all the time! Yum!
    Next I need to bake with them and not tell family their in there, or no-one will eat it, except Desi.
    Plus their good for you!
    Mango's are on sale, so I'll be getting those this week. I just love fruit in the summer Marie!
    Great Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love avocado Jan! Mango is one of my favourite fruits! Xo

      Delete
  3. Another first for me! I made my own tortillas. I don't know why I've never done that before, but they are so much nicer than the ones I've been buying all these years. I always make my own naan bread, parathas and roti canai so why not these?

    I was also very interested in the meat filling. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of mince meat, so the idea of finely dicing some meat appealed straight away. I used lövbiff (literally leaf beef) which is already thin slices of beef and that worked really well. I only had a red chilli (green are hard to find here), so I used that and kept the seeds as we like a bit of bite.

    Everything together was lovely. The avocado dressing was great (and I used frozen avocado as well and we had coriander, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, spring onion and black olives with it. Really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to make my own whenever I can Marie! Not quite as perfectly shaped as the ready made, but a bazillion times tastier for sure! I am pleased you enjoyed these! I haven’t made them in a long time! I need to make them soon methinks! Thank you! Xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!