Three Brothers Casserole

Tuesday 26 September 2017


This is a recipe that I clipped from a magazine a very long time ago and had wanted to make, but had never done so because it called for a tin of Ranch Style Beans, and that wasn't something you could get over here in the UK.  There's plenty of beans in tomato sauce . . . a multitude of brands, but that's the only baked beans you find here.  There are also lots of different types of tinned cooked beans, plain in water, but no such thing as Ranch Beans.


Not knowing what Ranch Style Beans were had always kept me from  making it.  I rediscovered this recipe in my files the other day and thought I would do a  search on Ranch Style Beans to see if maybe I could replicate them.  I found a copycat recipe for them, created my own Ranch Style Beans and then made this delicious sounding casserole. 


I was very pleased with the way it turned out.  It was quite delicious and even had the household pasta hater going back for seconds!  Having never tasted real tinned Ranch Style Beans, I can't vouch for the authenticity of flavour, but I can tell you that it was really really good. I think I might even dare to say that this version using a home-made version of the beans is much tastier than any version using a tin of ready made beans.


 It was hearty and filling and quite, quite delicious.  I served it to several hungry missionaries, who were both happened to be American, and I  had no complaints!!!  I love it when that happens. ☺


*Three Brothers Casserole*
Serves 6 to 8

A delicious and economical casserole.   Plan ahead as the beans need to simmer for about an hour before proceeding to the rest of the recipe.  (If you are in American you may forgo that part of the recipe and just use a tin of Ranch Style Beans, undrained.) 

For the beans:
1 400g tin of cooked pinto beans, undrained (14 ounce tin)
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice (15 ounce tin)
100g of bacon lardons (about 1/4 cup) (chopped thick cut bacon pieces)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tsp mild chili powder or to taste
1 tsp powdered chicken stock
1 TBS soft light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp seasoning salt 

For the remainder of the casserole:
115g of uncooked spaghetti (4 ounces)
1 pound of extra lean ground beef
1 (290g) tin of condensed cream of tomato soup (batchelors or campbells) (10 3/4 oz tin)
115g  of grated strong cheddar cheese (1 cup)
salt and black pepper to taste  

First make the beans.  Add the bacon lardons to a medium sized saucepan.  Cook until the fat begins to render out and they start to brown.  Add the chopped onion.  Cook stirring until the onion has softened.  Stir in the garlic and remainder of the seasonings, along with the brown sugar.  Cook and stir until it's quite fragrant.  Add the undrained tomatoes and the undrained beans.  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for about an hour, til slightly thickened and well flavoured.  Set aside. 

Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions and then drain well and rise.  Drain again.  Dump into a bowl.   Brown the ground beef in a skilled, stirring frequently.  Drain and then stir into the spaghette along with the tin of soup and the beans.   Mix all together well.  Season with a bit of salt and black pepper to taste.   Pour into a 9 inch square deep baking dish.   Sprinkle with the cheese.   Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until bubbling, heated through and lightly browned.  Serve hot. 

Note:  You can make this ahead up to the baking point.  Cover and chill in the refrigerator.  IN this case cook the spaghetti until only al dente.  Bring to room temperature before baking.


I thought this was really delicious and I was really happy that I had taken the time to find a recipe so that I could make my own ranch style beans, which goes to prove that you should never let a little obstacle as not being able to get a certain ingredient prevent you from trying something.  Where there is a will, there is always a way!  Bon Appetit!

6 comments

  1. And now you have the Ranch Style beans for a change from baked beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this yesterday for our family. Delicious! We live in the US so I used the Ranch Style Beans. This will be a go-to recipe for us for years to come...quick and easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased it was enjoyed, and you're welcome! xo

      Delete
  3. I made this for our family yesterday. Delicious! We live in the US so I used the Ranch Style Beans. This will be a go-to recipe for us for years to come. Quick and easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the double publish but I just love your name. Dachshunds are one of my favourite kinds of dog! Once again, thanks! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!