Chocolate Gingers

Sunday 26 November 2017


Chocolate and ginger have a wonderful affinity for each other.  The flavours go together just like peas and carrots!  There are some lovely hard ginger biscuits you can buy in the shops over here that are dipped in dark or milk chocolate and they are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S! I like the dark chocolate ones.


Todd really struggles with them however.  He loves the flavour but his older gnashers just can't cope with the hardness of them. I totally understand and don't really mind  . . .  more for me.  👍


Today I baked him some chocolate gingers that he could eat though, and he is in ginger biscuit heaven!


These are crisp edged with chewy middles.  He has already scarfed down about half a dozen, which is so not like him.  He usually doesn't indulge to that degree.


They are a lot spicier than my normal molasses crinkles that I bake, having two full teaspoons of ginger in them, along with a hefty amount of cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.  So lovely flavours!


You do have to chill the dough for a couple of hours before you shape and bake.  Shaping and baking is really simple though . . .


You just roll into balls and then roll the balls in granulated sugar to coat and then bake.  If your kitchen is somewhat warm however, chill them on the baking sheets for about ten minutes before baking.


The end result is totally moreishly addictively scrumptious!  Seriously.  Even without the chocolate.


But do try them with the chocolate.  Its easy.  I just melted semi sweet chocolate chips and generously drizzled it over top of the cooled cookies.  I think it's fair to say I am not a "decorator" in any sense of the word.  I am much too impatient.  I  just slop it on.  These taste really good no matter your skill at presentation!


*Chocolate Gingers*
Makes about 30

Crisp edges, chewy sweet middles and lotsa spice, with a hint of semi sweet chocolate drizzle. Very moreish. 

280g plain flour (2 cups)
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
180g unsalted butter, melted and cooled (3/4 cup)
190g sugar (1 cup)
60ml molasses (1/4 cup)
1 large free range egg
sugar for rolling


For the chocolate glaze:
180g semi sweet chocolate chips (1 cup) 



Sift together the flour, soda, slt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.  Whisk together the butter, sugar, molasses and egg.  Combine together the dry and the wet ingredients to give you a uniform, soft dough.  Cover and chill for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/gas mark 4.  Line several baking sheets with baking paper.  Put some granulated sugar into a small bowl.

Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and roll the balls in sugar.  Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake in the heated oven for 10 to 12 minutes until the cookies have spread and are light golden brown. Any cracks should appear slightly moist.  Let sit on the baking sheets for a few minutes before scooping off onto wire racks to finish cooling.

 For the choclate glaze, melt the choclate chips in a bowl set over simmering water, taking care not to let the bottom of the bowl touch the water.  Drizzle the melted chocolate over top of the cookies and allow to set before storing in an airtight container.

Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or freeze in an airtight container for longer.


Yes, the Christmas Cookie fest has begun.  I can't think of any neighbours that would not be appreciative of a container of these!  Happy Holidays and Bon Appetit! 



6 comments

  1. All I can say is yum! Everything is better with chocolate! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Jan! I love dark chocolate more than milk, but generally I will take whatever! xo

      Delete
  2. yummo!!! We love ginger sparklers here and this really puts them over the top!! I have your cookbook on its way to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Laurie, I am so happy to be back in touch. I have missed you! You will have to message me your mailing address on FB and I will send you a signed bookplate to go with your book! Thank you so much! These cookies are to die for! I am sure Gary would love them too! xo

      Delete
  3. Love your little Marie signature too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! You probably recognise the font! Thank YOU! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!