Big and Fluffy Almond Meringues

Tuesday 30 June 2009



I'm not sure who it was that first recognized that if you beat egg whites together with a bit of sugar and then baked it that you could come up with a heavenly concotion as light as a cloud and quite blissfully as tasty . . .

I only know that I am glad that they did.



Simple ingredients, simple techniques . . . marry together in a wonderful union of un-parralled success . . . eat them plain, or whip up some heavy cream and sandwhich them together. You could break them up and fold them into some gently whipped cream along with some crushed berries, or like me . . . you could just sit there and bit into it, relishing every glorious, meltingly sweet pillow like bite . . . the choice is yours.



A few things to remember . . .

Always start with eggs that are more than a few days old. Very fresh eggs will not create as voluminous mixture.



Make sure your whisk and bowl are scrupulously clean. Any hint of fat at all will prevent your whites from reaching their full potential.

Avoid making meringues on a humid day. The extra moisture in the air will be absorbed by the meringues, making them soften and get quite sticky . . . not a good thing in a meringue . . . you want crisp and light.




*Big and Fluffy Almond Meringues*

Makes about 6 large or 12 small
Printable Recipe

These lovely meringues are light and crisp. You don't have to add the toasted almonds, but I think they add a nice touch. These are delicious served with fresh berries and softly whipped cream, or make smaller ones and sandwich them together with some whipped cream in the middle.

4 large free range organic egg whites, at room temperature
115g caster sugar
115g sifted icing sugar
1 small package of flaked almonds (optional)



Pre-heat the oven to 110*C/ 225*F. Line a large baking sheet with some parchment paper. Set aside.

Place the egg whites in a large glass mixing bowl. Whip with an electric whisk until they resemble fluffy clouds and hold their shape when you life the beaters out of the bowl. Gradually start beating in the caster sugar, one tablespoonful at a time until the mixture is thick and glossy. (Try hard not to overbeat it) Fold in the icing sugar a third at a time, being careful, once again, not to overmix. You want it to be fluffy and cloudlike.

Spoon large dollops of the mixture onto the baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches or so between each one. If you are making smaller ones, spoon tablespoonful's onto the baking sheet. Scatter the flakes almonds over all, if using. Bake for 1 1/4 hours, or until they are very crisp on the bottom and sound hollow when tapped on the bottoms. They should be very lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

You may now use them as you wish.

17 comments

  1. Be still my heart...Oh, but I love meringues! These almond kissed ones are lovely...and I can just imagine the taste...mmm...Happy Day, Marie :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone else like the raw, uncooked meringue? I do! Raw cake batter too and biscut and scone dough. Aren't I odd?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess Angie, salmonella or not, I do lick my fingers . . . . frequently! (and while I'm at it, I lick the bowl too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look heavenly! I really should make some meringues, yum! Your pictures are just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out beautifully! Love the almonds on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I have to say!! I love meringues as Tracy!! look absolutely amazing and Yummy!!! mmmmmm!! Other lovely recipe my dear, huggs!!!!Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I've caught up on both your blogs and is my printer ever getting a work out! So many luscious things to try! Thanks for so many yummies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm....I can taste them melting in my mouth right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, these look divine! Sadly, I don't find anything about meringue 'simple'. I just flat-out cannot make it properly. So I'll look at yours instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm those look delicious. I haven't made meringues in so long.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made your meringues. they were lovely. I came from England and remember the fluffy meringues with whipped cream in between. I have tried many ways, but this one is the best. I also made Eton mess with some and added raspberries it was a delight. thank you so much;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and share with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed these meringues! xo

      Delete
  12. Hi,😍 these stole my heart the second I saw them! If I wanted to add almond extract, when would I do so and how much do you think? Thank you! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you could add a couple of drops of Almond extract if you wanted to.

      Delete
    2. Ok should I add it after the sugar?

      Delete
    3. You can add it at any time!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!