Cheese Stuffed Courgettes

Tuesday 11 August 2009



I'm working on that garden glut of courgettes again. It truly is the monstor of the garden, is it not? One day you look and you see a few that are only finger sized and so you leave them to get a bit larger, and then before you know it, all of a sudden they are the size of marrows!

It's a good thing I like courgettes!

Something else I really like are Mediterranean inspired flavours . . . things like black olives, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, feta cheese, oregano . . .



Warm flavours . . .

Healthy flavours . . .

Greek flavours . . .



When I was about 10 years old I saw a Disney film called "The Moonspinners," based on the novel of the same name by Mary Stewart. It starred a teen aged Haley Mills and took place on the Island of Crete. That fired an interest in me to visit Greece and indeed, Crete, one day so that I could see this same beautiful place . . .

I have never been to Greece, yet . . . but someday, someday . . .

In the meantime I can taste Greece, and it's really quite delicious.



Yesterday I was inspired to fill some courgettes with some of these flavours, and I have to say . . .

They were really quite tasty! Sitting out at the picnic table under the umbrella, listening to the flies buzz as we dug our forks in . . . one almost felt like they were in Greece . . . the only thing missing was the sand and the sea . . . oh, and the cute Greek Cabana boy . . .

Todd tries . . . bless his heart . . . but, oh well . . . you can't have it all!



*Cheese Stuffed Courgettes*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

These are so easy to make and so tasty! Use a melon baller to scoop out the flesh. Quick and easy.

4 medium courgettes (about 2 pounds)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 TBS tomato puree
1 TBS chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 TBS chopped dry cured black olives
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp dried oregano
sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1/4 cup buttered cracker crumbs



Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Cut the courgettes in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes to soften. Remove the courgettes and scoop out the pulp, leaving the shells intact. Chop the pulp and place in a bowl. Mix together with the garlic, tomato puree, sun dried tomatoes, chopped olives, feta cheese, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Stuff the courgette shells with the mixture. Sprinkle the buttered cracker crumbs over top. Return to the oven and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.

7 comments

  1. That's much too long to be waiting to go to Greece! Go! Go now! But be prepared to find your body clock slo-o-o-o-wing d--o--w--n..... within minutes of arrival. Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you lttle Shirley Valentine you! Bob-round-the-corner gave me a courgette the size of a small marrow the other day. He's welcome to grow them if he wants but I learnt my lesson when I found how unwieldy the plants are. I do envy the Med countries their food though.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love zucchinis, and I love these dish Marie, look yummy.Im a gre with Tracy, go to to Greece!! I thinks is heavenly, these waters, thses foods, these Greek men (je,je) all is lovely I think, xxxxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo delicious...so easy too--love it, Marie! Happy Day, sweet friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mm those sound really good, Marie! The photos look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good. We have zuchinni..umm...courgettes in our garden. I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still using up zucchini from the garden. These were really nice and very easy to put together with lovely flavours. I love Mediterranean flavours and they went so well with the zucchini. We had these with some rice and bean patties and a Greek salad. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!