Recipes that are delicious and that always work!

You know these recipes are delicious because if I didn't think that they were fabulous . . . I wouldn't be showing them to you. You can also be sure that these recipes work for the same reason! The rest is simply a matter of taste.

Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Four Perfect Ingredients

All it takes is four perfect ingredients . . . and a teensy beensy bit of effort to create something totally scrumptious.

Delicious creamery butter.

Healthy porridge oats.

Scrummy, sticky and sweet Golden Syrup.

Crunchy Demerara sugar.

What do you get????

Moreishly scrumptiously delicious . . .

Flapjack traybake squares.

Make them.



*Flapjack Traybake*
Makes one 12 by 9 inch tray bake
Printable Recipe

Deliciously buttery and moreish. Need I say more.

8 ounces butter
8 ounces demerara sugar
3 ounces golden syrup
10 ounces porridge oats

Pre-heat the oven to 190*C/375*F. Butter a 9 by 12 inch tray bake pan really well. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar and golden syrup. Heat thoroughly until the sugar melts without boiling. Stir in the oats. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tin. Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and immediately cut into squares. Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing.


  1. yumm! they look like oats & honey bars!
    -Mini Baker

  2. Yum - they look like they could disappear very easily.

  3. It's amazing what you can do with 4 simple, delicious ingredients... This is sooo good, Marie! Happy Day--LOVE YA :o) ((BIG HUGS))

  4. My daughters loved these growing up..and I can't leave them alone:)Great reminder!

  5. Simple, straightforward, and gorgeous. I'd love to try these with some golden raisins, dried pineapple, or other shiny gems to stud the golden goodness.

  6. PS Since I usually read this while I'm at work with the sound off, I never noticed your playlist at the bottom. You have awesome taste in music :D

  7. WOW Marie! I've never seen a treat like this before! Only you could bring this to us!! Thank you!

  8. Made this twice yesterday...and both times it didn't turn out (at least not like your pictures). It tasted delicious, but was very buttery and gooey. No structure. I made it a second time, thinking that I had made a mistake in my measurements, but that wasn't it. Will you double-check your measurements and let me know, please.
    (we loved them, anyway, but it was more like candy than a square)

  9. Shannon, I have double checked the ingredients. What can I say, I must have been really tired when I typed this out as they were a bit off. Anyways, have adjusted them in the recipe. I do apologize for the mistype!! I'm so sorry that you tried these twice with bad results, but glad that you pointed it out to me so that I could re-check things. I do hope that you will try them again and that the next time you have success! Also, you need to use the old fashioned oats, not quick oats.

  10. What is the new measurements then? Mine didnt turn out...

    1. The new measurements are the ones on the recipe. I am sorry you didn't have success with these. I don't know what else to tell you.

  11. I just tried to make these too, and the measurements must be off, it was super buttery and no form...

    1. Sorry that has been your experience Semhal. They worked well for me. :-(

    2. You do have to let them cool completely before you cut them. I find leaving them overnight helps.


Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy! Please don't attempt to leave spam. It will be deleted immediately.