Tomato and Chick Pea Soup

Tuesday 27 October 2009



Some days I am sincerely lacking in time. Days when I have extra work on up at the big house that I cook in, and then have the shopping to do for work as well . . . and yet . . . we still have to eat here at home.

I still have to feed my husband and myself.



Those are the days when I rely on a well stocked larder.

A well stocked larder that I can go to at a moments notice and rustle up a meal in quick time.



A meal that is not only filling, but delicious.



A meal that is easy, quick, delicious and pleasing to the eye . . .



When you have a husband that hates pasta . . . it can be a real challenge.



This tasty soup fits the bill perfectly.

It's quick. It's delicious. It's filling. Not only does it use some of my favourite ingredients, but it uses things I always have in my larder.



Necessity is the beautiful mother of invention . . . don't you think? With some crusty bread on the side, this was very . . . very satisfying.



*Tomato and Chick Pea Soup*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

A store cupboard recipe that goes together in a flash and uses things that most of us have on hand in our larders. Tasty and filling. Don't overdo the smoked paprika . . . you only want a hint of the flavour . . .you don't want it to take over.

a spash of olive oil
1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 small garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 stalk of celery, minced
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
1 14-oz tin of chick peas, drained
1 14-tin of cherry tomatoes, undrained
1/8 tsp of smoked paprika
1 bay leaf broken in half
2 cups vegetable stock
salt and black pepper to taste
1 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, celery and rosemary. Cook and stir for several minutes, until the vegetables have softened. Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and stock. Stir in the bay leaf and smoked paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so. Discard the bay leaf. Using a stick blender, blitz it a few times to crush some of the peas, but you want a lot of texture and some whole peas, so don't overdo it. Taste and adjust the seasoning as required. Stir in the parsley and serve in heated bowls.

7 comments

  1. Oh Marie I can't believe Todd dislikes pasta - what a pain, can you hypnotize him? This soup looks fab, except as much as MOTH loves legumes they all fall into the Fart Bean category, & as a gesture toward the global Greenhouse Gas Effect, I limit MOTH's exposure to them to twice a year!
    Millie ^_^
    P.S. I got organised this past w/end & started a folder specifically for The English Kitchen's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love this soup, Marie! So simple, so good, so tasty, so comforting... Tomatoes, chick pea...my faves! I can't wait to make this one. LOVE YOU HEAPS, dear friend :o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chickpeas, in anything, even a couple eaten as they come out of the tin.

    But even more, I love your larder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup look so tasty Marie!! and about Todd, aah he is a sweet! is not matter I think he doesnt like pasta. Je,je, Huggsss!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your larder! How functional!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely blog. I would like to give you a blog award. Let me know how to send it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you on the benefits of a well stocked larder. I never run out of things and always have the means to rustle up a meal in a hurry or if we get unexpected guests.

    We decided to have soup tonight and this was a perfect choice as we both love chickpeas and who doesn't love a tomato soup on a cold, wet, blustery day. This was lovely with that hint of rosemary and the earthiness of the smoked paprika. I added a handful of baby spinach right at the end as I had some in the fridge that needed using up. It's a soup that you could easily add other vegetables to if you had them around.

    I paired the soup with your fabulous Three Ingredient Scones (https://www.theenglishkitchen.co/2019/03/three-ingredient-cheese-scones.html) and it was a lovely, warm, comforting meal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!