Winter Root Vegetable Mash

Friday 15 January 2010



We really love winter root vegetables in our house. By that I mean swede, carrots, jerusalem artichokes, beetroot, celeriac and the lovely parsnip. These are vegetables that really come into their own in the winter months, and it's no surpise that most winter soups and stews use them in one form of another.



My absolute favourites are the parnips and swede. (Rutabaga to you North Americans.) We ate rutabaga a lot when I was growing up, except that we called them turnips then. Surprisingly they were only known as pig fodder over here for a long time . . . no wonder the pork was so tasty.



My mother didn't like parsnips though. I can remember her cooking them for us once and I fell in love with their delicious sweetness. She had peeled them, cut them into rounds and then pan fried them in butter. Oh, my but they were gorgeous! She discovered though that she still didn't like them so that was the end of our having them at home.



I cannot imagine anyone not loving them. Perhaps if she had tasted them done this way, she would have liked them more. I shall have to try to tempt her with them the next time we are together.

And . . . if she still doesn't like them . . . no matter . . . that just means there's more for me.



*Parsnip and Swede Mash*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Scrummy, yummy with the delicious flavours of swede, parsnips mashed together with horseradish, sour cream and thyme. A crunchy buttery breadcrumb topping is it's crowning glory.

4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
1 medium swede, peeled and cut into similar sized chunks as the parsnips
2 dessertspoons of sour cream
1 TBS creamed horseradish
salt and black pepper to taste
1 large sprig of thyme, the leaves stripped and stem discarded
For the buttery topping:
2 TBS butter
1 small onion, peeled and minced
1 large handful of soft white breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves



Place the swede and parsnips into a pan of sligthly salted boiling water. Lower the heat and cook, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes until quite tender. Drain well. Mash together with a potato masher and then stir in the sour cream, horseradish and thyme. You want a rough texture so don't mash too finely. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pre-het the oven to 190*C/375*F. Butter a shallow baking dish. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring until golden brown. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring until the crumbs are crisp and golden. Add the thyme and season with a bit of salt if desired.

Spread the vegetable mash in the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle the crumbs over top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.

11 comments

  1. I too love swede and parsnips and most other veg Marie. Trying to think of a vegetable I don't like.......nope I can't!
    Lovely mash you've made there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Love vegetables cooked like this. So sweet and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So delicious! I love root veggies... and I like the crunch of the top here... mmm... Happy Weekend, dear friend--LOVE YA ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! Those look so yummy, Marie! Love everything you cook up, my friend--you're just brilliant in that English kitchen of yours! Hope your day is a little less chilly today--love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that really looks delicious. Two of my favorite winter veggies baked together -mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay I am definitely trying this recipe! It looks fabulous!! Of course your photos are great!!

    Funny thing is I've never had parsnips growing up in Michigan. I tried my first parsnip while I was in New Zealand. My husband loves them so now we have them often, and all the parsnips we get here in Florida come from Michigan about 15 minuite where I grew up!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks just fantastic! nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely Yum! It is just past midnight here, and this is EXACTLY what I feel like eating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tried parsnips fried in butter but it sounds lovely

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the blog, Love the recipes, hate the background. Hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure what you are seeing Bella Luna, the background on my page is white behind all of the writing. The blue pattern is only a border on the sides. Sorry this doesn't seem to be working for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!