Almond Macaroons

Saturday 13 February 2010



There is something very tempting and delicious about almond macaroons . . .



Perhaps it's that tiny bit of resistance on the outside as you sink your teeth into one . . . that crispy sweet exterior that is so very, very moreish . . .



Or maybe it's their exquisitely soft melt-in your-mouth interior . . . flavoured with ground almonds . . . sweet and almost chewy . . . scrummy, scrummy, scrummy . . .



Could it be the nutty crunch of that lovely toasted almond which sits on the top ? ? ?

Who knows . . . whatever it is . . . it has me coming back for . . . one . . . more . . . bite.

Again . . . and again . . . these little babies are addictive.



*Almond Macaroons*
makes one dozen
Printable Recipe

Who doesn't love a sweet macaroon, crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside and full of delicious almond flavours!

4 ounces ground almonds
1 1/2 to 2 egg whites
5 ounces caster sugar
12 blanched almond halves
icing sugar to dust (optional)

Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Line a baking tray with silicone paper or parchment. Set aside.

Beat the egg whites with a fork until foamy. Put the ground almonds into a food processor and process until very fine. This should take about 15 seconds. Add 1/4 of the egg whites. Process for 10 seconds. Add half of the sugar. Process for 10 seconds. Add another 1/4 of the egg whites and the remaining sugar. Process for another 10 seconds. Add a further 1/4 of the egg whites. Process again. The mixture should be quite soft, but you should be able to shape it into 12 balls the size of a walnut. If you think the mixture is too stiff, add the remaining egg white.

Place the balls 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheet. Brush all over with cold water and then drop 1/2 an almond on each. Bake for 15 to 16 minutes, until lightly browned. Take care not to overbake. They should be crisp on the outside, but still moist and chewy on the insides. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool.

Dust with icing sugar if desired. Store in an airtight container.

20 comments

  1. O yum. I have taken the eggs out of the fridge ready to make these so very soon! Thanks for the nudge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! How delicious! I love almond macaroons, but have never baked them myself--so glad you shared this, Marie!

    Hope you're having a beautiful day so far...I'm off to bed--it's been a long one today! Much love to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my father's very favorite cookies- this and Sesame cookies. Lovely!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just letting you know that I made them! Not quite as pretty as yours, but excellent just the same! Indeed, I ate three! But there are still enough for the cookie jar! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right up my alley~Joy I see you love Marie's recipes also..I just made her Raspberry Bakewell Cake~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did make these once a lon time ago but they were just.....chewy. In fact they stuck to your teeth! I think perhanps I used too much egg white and over baked them too. I'll try again with the benefit of your advice.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't say I've ever had a macaroon before. Maybe its time I tried one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these little cookies look soooooo good.. and I am making them this week... thank you!

    http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made macaroons once in highschool, and have been searching ever since for a recipe that good - this one has done it! These are the perfect Happy-Food. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just delicious! I have been looking for the perfect almond macaroon recipe to make for my step-mom, they are her favourite! I have never found a recipe that matches so perfectly our fav macaroons from our club! Well done!

    http://emmaseatery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you freeze the raw mixture?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can not speak with any certainty about this issue Edam as I have never done so. The best thing to do would be to freeze a small amount and see how it works. Sorry I cannot be of more help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My macaroons became sticky after a couple of days stored in an airtight container....any idea why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why Sharon! Mine are never around for that long! Xo

      Delete
  14. First time I've ever made macaroons - my husband loves them. These are divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I am so pleased these were enjoyed! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us all know! Xo

      Delete
  15. Marie, I've spent too long looking for a macaroons recipe to make them the way I used to have a child. That was a long time ago; I remember when we all played in the anti-aircraft emplacements when WWII ended, when the first person in our road had a car and, later, when the first person had a TV. We all stood outside the window, watching the Queen's coronation inside.

    Reading your recipe for chewy macaroons has me hooked! I've printed it out, so now I can go to bed at last. I started up the stairs 5 hours ago but got diverted to look for a couple of recipes. I'm going to make them later in the week, so will let you know how they go. Thanks for the website and the recipe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome John. I Hope they don't disappoint! You must be about the same age as my husband as he has many of the same memories. He was born an East Ender but during the war they moved to his nan's in Harold Wood, where they remained for the rest of his childhood.

      Delete
  16. Whats also nice is as you form the balls rub a little rose water on your fingers. Sublime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!