Cherry and Almond Scones

Wednesday 10 February 2010



Cherries are one of my favourite things. I know you are thinking . . . what isn't her favourite thing??? Well, the answer is quite simple . . .



I'm allergic to shell fish, so none of that please, and I won't eat anything with antennae or tenticles. Does that make me squeamish? Perhaps . . . but I know I am not alone!



One of my favourite things in a fruit cake has to be the glace cherries . . . next to the candied pineapple and citron of course! I like to use the naturally coloured cherries in my baking, eschewing anything artifically dyed a bright red or green. That means that my cherries always have a somewhat darker colour, but boy oh boy, do they taste good.



I just love cherry scones, but the ones in the shops always have those bright red cherried in them . . . and store bought baked goods always end up tasting a bit disappointing to me. They never quite come up to their promise. Am I alone in thinking that???



I thought so . . . Home baked anything is always infinitely better in my books.

Yesterday I baked Todd a teatime treat of some lovely Cherry and Almond Scones. Not quite as pretty as the ones in the shops, but boy, are they tasty.

They have a delicious short and buttery crumb, with a subtle hint of almond, and are just stogged full of lovely cherries.



Try them today . . . simply buttered, or if you are really feeling hedonistic, add some clotted cream and jam. Delicious!

In for a penny, in for a pound I always say!! The recipe makes a lot, but they do freeze very well.



*Cherry and Almond Scones*
makes about 20 2-inch scones
Printable Recipe

Delicious scones with a tender crumb and chock full of glace cherries and a subtle hint of almond. Serve cold with butter or clotted cream and jam!

450g self raising flour, sifted (3 1/4 cups)
1/2 tsp baking soda
125g softened butter (1/2 cup)
85g caster sugar (scant half cup)
170g glace cherries, roughly chopped (generous cup)
1 large free range egg, beaten
a few drops of almond essence
6 to 7 fluid ounces of milk

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Butter a large baking tray (s). Set aside.

Sift the flour into a large bowl along with the soda. Rub in the butter until it resembles sand. Stir in the sugar and cherries. Add the beaten egg, almond essence and enough of the milk to make a soft dough, but not sticky dough. Knead lightly until smooth. Pat out on a floured board to a thickeness of about 1/2 inch. Cut into rounds with a sharp 2 inch cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheet (s). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until well risen, firm and golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool before serving. Delicious split and buttered or served with clotted cream and jam for a special indulgence.

12 comments

  1. Mmmm! These look sooo good! A few years ago I made scones for breakfast, and my youngest thought I called them "stones", LOL ;) I hope he didn't go to school and tell everyone that I fed him stones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may make these today as my friend will be here for lunch. Thank you for the idea, Marie! Oh, and I don't buy bakery goods at all anymore-my family thinks they taste stale
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scones Marie of any flavour shape or size.I do agree with you that the home made ones are so much better than bought.I don't think though any of these will end up the freezer,they will be gone before one can blink Heeee.Thankyou for the great recipe.Have a lovely day.Lucky Todd tell him from me,the next waist size up is worth it heeeeeee.Take Care God Bless Kath xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really beautiful scones, Marie... such wonderful flavors! I've not made scones in ages--must remedy--LOL! How I would love to sit with you and a pot of tea and plate of scones and chat away and afternoon... I love to dream. ;o) Happy Day, dear friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love scones and you're right about the store-bought ones - they taste like cardboard. Now don't laugh but this is a really dumb question = what are glace cherries and where do you get them?? I only know of the REAL kind of cherry and the canned type!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laurie, Glace cherries are candied cherries, the kind that you would use in a fruit cake. They are real cherries that have been preserved by soaking them in a sugar syrup over a long period of time and then air dried to preserve. Real cherries might work, but I would not use canned at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WSish my scones could turn out as well as yours ... even if just once in my lifetime!!! Thanks for sending me the link to your friends recipe too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect scones! Lovely Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that flavor combination. There is a local pastry shop that sells a cherry almond tart and it is one of my favorite treats to get when I stop in.
    Perhaps I will make scones this week – I already have a few jars of clotted cream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No you're not a lone Marie. Evey once in a while I eat a store bought something and I think, why did I even bother. Homemade is always better. Especially your homemade. These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scones are my favorite and I have some fresh cherries right now! This sounds delicious! Another great recipe! Thanks! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooo these sound lovely! I'll give these a try tomorrow! :o) thanks for sharing! Betty xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!