Lemon Curd and Blueberry Loaf

Sunday 7 February 2010




As you know, I just love blueberries. I also happen to love lemon, and when I saw the lovely cake on the cover of the March issue of Good Food magazine I was in heaven! It was a beautiful lemon curd blueberry loaf cake and it looked really good . . .



The recipe uses lemon curd in the batter. I happen to already make a lucious lemon drizzle cake that uses lemon curd in the batter and I know first hand how very tasty a cake it makes!

I wanted to kick it up a notch though . . . (Forgive me Good Food Magazine . . . it's just in my nature to never leave well enough alone . . . usually with most delicious results, I might add!)



So I decided to add a cardamon streusel topping on top of the batter before I baked it. Oh, what a delicious decision that was. It is sweet and crunchy with just the merest hint of cardamom which as we know, goes so very well with lemon . . .



Once baked, a tart lemon icing was drizzled all over the top of the streusel . . .

Each mouthful brings you the delights of a moist lemon cake, sweet blueberries, crunchy streusel and a lemon drizzle icing . . . can you say MOREISH???

But it gets even better . . .



Once cooled and sliced, you want to serve it up with a dollop of lemon curd and lashings of creme fraiche . . .

OH MY GOODNESS !!!

This is a diet killer, if I ever tasted one. Could be quite dangerous to have around. Y'all will have to come over and help me get rid of it, ok?



*Lemon Curd and Blueberry Loaf*
Makes one 2 pound loaf
Printable Recipe

A deliciously moist and tangy loaf topped with a scrummy cardamom streusel topping and a lemon glaze.

6 ounces of butter softened, plus more for buttering the tin
100g Greek yogurt
2 TBS of lemon curd
3 large free range eggs
the zest of one lemon
8 ounces self raising flour
6 ounces golden caster sugar
85g of blueberries

For the streusel:
1 1/2 ounces of self raising flour
1 1/2 ounces demerara sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 ounce soft butter

For the glaze:
the juice of one lemon
5 ounces icing sugar, sifted

To serve:
lemon curd
creme fraiche

Pre-heat the oven to 160*C/325*F. Butter a 2 pound loaf tin. Line it with a long strip of parchment paper, for ease in lifting out. Butter the parchment.

Make the streusel by rubbing all the streusel ingredients together until crumbly. Set aside.

Place all the cake ingredients, except for the blueberries into a mixing bowl. Beat well until thorougly combined and smooth. Spoon half of this into the prepared loaf tin. Sprinkle the blueberries over top and then cover with the remaining half of the batter.

Sprinkle the streusel evenly over top.

Bake in the heated oven for 1 hour and 15 to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and the cake is well risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool in the pan before lifting out onto a wire rack.

Make the glaze by whisking together the lemon juice and the icing sugar. Drizzle this over top of the cake.

Serve in slices with some more lemon curd and some creme fraiche if desired.

16 comments

  1. I would LOVE to just pop on over and help you devour that one, Marie! Looks like sheer perfection! Love your changes to the recipe--I do think you can ALWAYS trust YOUR instincts with recipes!!! Hope your Sunday is marvellous--much love sent your way today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Marie, this sounds like Heaven! Absolutely!
    Anyone ~Everyone in their right mind must recognize what a wonderful combination of flavors this is! What a beautiful gift it would be, wrapped in clear cellophane, tied with a gorgeous lavender blue ribbon, and some lavender and rosemary sprigs within the bow~congratulations, I am going to try it for a Valentine's Gift to a very favorite girl friend for all she has done for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That loaf looks like a weapon of diet destruction! I know I would be more than capable of polishing the whole thing off myself. Probably with a pot of tea and probably in just one sitting. Just looking at it is making me drool!! Lemon curd is one of my favourite ingredients, I eat it on toast, with a spoon and add it to most frostings I make. yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, i think i would eat that whole loaf in one go it looks SO good! I wonder if it would work using not egg powder equal to 3 eggs. I think this is one i will be trying some time.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ALWAYS have lemon curd in the house. I will surely be making this by the end of the week!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I love lemon curd, this look georgeous, love a lot.
    How are you dear, huggss!!!! Take care!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it tastes like everything else I have baked of yours..and I am sure it does.. M marks my seat at the table please:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If there wqas a prize for seductive writing you'd get it! Bother bother bother I just made lemon drizzle with lemon curd in the batter yesterday because some lemons needed using up. I should have just waited. Or not - I know who would have eaten most of it! As it is I can taste every morsel jusr by reading your words - and not a calorie in sight!!!

    love, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aaaargh - now we've got to have a blueberry hunt in Asda (though I doubt if there'll be any) cos the Keithster just saw this recipe. What have I told him about reading over my shoulder?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh..lemon curd. I love this stuff. I'm the only one in the house that does but I buy big jars of it anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nooooo, that looks just too good and I need to eat less desserts not more. Thanks for the lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my. I want this very bad! It looks delicious:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! What was the fat percentage of the Greek yogurt you used? Most of what I see at the grocery store (in the US) is fat free.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! That is one heck of a lemon cake. The streusel topping and icing seem to take this to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been eyeing this recipe up since the magazine landed in the mailbox too. I love your additions for the topping too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found your blog while looking for a lemon drizzle recipe that was in Canadian conversation and not quite so vague as my Auntie Gill's. I've spent the last hour browsing your recipes and they all sound delicious.

    I'm going to book mark and try a few (after I convert them). Thanks. :)

    Stacy - from Canada.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!