Pan Grilled Steaks with Bearnaise Butter . . .

Thursday 18 February 2010



If you were to ask me to pick a final and last meal . . . there is no doubt as to what I would choose. It is a certainty that Steak would show up on the menu. There is nothing I like better than a beautifully cooked steak . . . richly seared on the outside and meltingly tender and rare on the inside.



Yes, I am a lover of rare meat . . . not so rare that it can crawl off of the plate and into your mouth all by itself, but certainly more red than pink inside.



Surprisingly my favourite steak is not the tenderloin, but a juicy rib eye . . . cut thick and richly marbled with just the right amount of fat to lean. Dusted with some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and then quickly seared on both sides to seal in the flavour, no more than four minutes per side . . .



This is steak perfection . . . especially if you gild the lily with a delicious bearnaise butter . . .



the flavours of tarragon and shallots, melting over the surface of the meat, all rich and buttery . . . mmmm . . .



This is heaven to me, pure and utter bliss . . .



*Pan Grilled Steaks with Bearnaise Butter*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Perfectly cooked and tender rib steaks with a delicious bearnaise butter melted on top. Fabulous! Make the butter at least one hour before serving, or up to a day ahead.

4 1-inch thick rib eye steaks, at room temperature
Vegetable oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the butter:
3 TBS softened butter
2 tsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
2 tsp minced shallots
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
pinch of salt

First make the butter. Mash together the butter, tarragon, shallots, lemon juice and salt. Mix well. Shape into a small log on a piece of cling film. (Approximately 4 inches long) Wrap well and then place in the refrigerator to chill.

When you are ready to eat, heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Brush each of the steaks on both sides with a bit of vegetable oil. Sprinkle each side with a bit of salt and pepper. Sear in the hot skillet, cooking the first side for approximately 4 minutes for medium rare. Turn over and sear the other side for approximately the same amount of time. Remove from the heat and place on heated plates.

Serve with slices of the bearnaise butter on top. Delicious!

To go with that steak? Well, it would have to be a crispy baked potato, or some richly mashed potatoes . . . and a salad or green vegetable of course!

15 comments

  1. YUM! I'm always looking for a good way to pan fry a steak so it's not boring. This looks wonderful. And you're right - rib eye is the best for this. Don't try New York - it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth watered so much when I saw that image!
    Looks amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really looks delicious and the photo make me hungry.
    Another great sauce for your steak is a Foyot. This is Hollandaise with a glace de viande stireed in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The biggest high five to you Marie from the other side of the world - ditto, ditto, ditto. I'd go the Scotch Fillet route 'cos I like the little extra bit of marbling, but RIGHT ON GIRL! Oh & a big bunch of lightly steamed asparagus on the side to sop up the surplus Bernaise.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH!!! Be still my heart! There's nothing I love more than steak--and top it with that butter---I'm a gonner! I like mine a little more well-done, however...sorry, Marie!

    Hope you're doing well & having a most wondrous day--I trimmed my roses today....sunshine and warmth...I was inspired! Hope the weather's a bit better for you, too! Lots of love sent your way today, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a goodlooking steak! :) Looks so juicy and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi from Pennsylvania. Wow, that steak looked fantastic!! I love rib eye...it's my favorite cut. Just found you tonight...I'll be comin' back. Have a peaceful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, I've rarely cooked a good steak in fact I've given up buying it. Could I mess up this recipe? I'm so tempted to give it a shot, the photos are mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie I now want that for dinner tonight! I LOVE steak and yours looks so good! Love the Bearnaise Butter - just finishes it off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hubby would love this one! He would love the steak and the butter... I'll take the Bearnaise Butter... ;o) ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, that looks like it could take 10 years off your life - but I suppose if you only had 10 years left to live, you'd die happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Marie, that is making me salivate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect! My daughter made your Bombay potatoes last night..Very Good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! an looks so good!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was a vegetarian for three and a half years, and honestly didn't miss meat at all. Now that I'm eating it again, though, I am finding that, while I am pretty indifferent to white meat and pork, red meat is absolutely delicious when cooked right. Lamb shanks, steak, burgers... oh, my! I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!