Raspberry Jam Bars

Tuesday 16 February 2010




With this being pancake day, I bet you were expecting to see a recipe for pancakes. You can find my recipe for Rise and Shine Buttermilk Pancakes over HERE. But I had other things on my mind last night. There's also a delicious link to my friend Erin's fantastic buttermilk syrup. The two together area absolute bliss . . .



We will probably have pancakes for our supper tonight, and I'll probably use Delia's Recipe. I reckon it is the best British pancake recipe, and can't be improved upon. We'll have them sprinkled with some castor sugar and lemon juice and they'll be just wonderful. We will really enjoy them, we really will!!



But right now as I write this, it's late Monday afternoon . . . and there are no pancakes in sight. There are these really tasty little Raspberry Jam tartlettes that I made earlier today though. Will they do???



I know, the recipe says Raspberry Jam Bars, but . . . if you cut them with a little round cutter, they become tartlettes. I think tartlettes look much tastier than squares, don't you?



Perfect little buttery bites, filled with crunchy oats and toasted almonds, and sweet raspberry jam. A delicious two bite snack, perfection . . . in every way.



Incredibly moreishly scrummy . . . almost too dangerous to be around. Trust me on this . . . but go ahead . . . you know you want to . . . lick the screen . .

Resistance is . . . futile.




*Raspberry Jam Bars*
Makes 16 squares, or 10 tarts
Printable Recipe

140g (1 cup) flour
pinch salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 ounces (8 TBS) unsalted butter at room temperature
85g (1/2 cup) packed dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
50g (1/2 cup) oats
(not instant oats)
50g (1/2 cup) sliced almonds
4 heaped dessertspoons of seedless raspberry jam

Pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Line an 8 inch square baking tin with aluminium foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides. Set aside.

Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir this mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in the oats and sliced almonds. Reserve 1.2 cup of this mixture and set it aside. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Dollop the raspberry jam over top and spread it out with a rubber spatula to within 1/2 inch of the sides of the pan all around. Crumble the reserved oat mixture evenly over top.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the dough is golden brown and the jam is lightly bubbling. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Use the foil overhang to lift the baked mixture out of the pan. Cut into 16 squares with a sharp knife, or using a sharp two inch round cutter, cut it into small round tartlettes.

16 comments

  1. I licked my screen, Marie...you told me to...okay, I didn't, but I REALLY want those beautiful tartlettes! I think this kind of sweet makes me happier than anything chocolate! Yum!

    How's your day going? Hope it's wonderful in every way today! Much love floating your way today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm making savoury pancakes today Marie - but I know now what will be for afters - perhaps with a little custard?

    You never disappoint Marie, your blogs are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about your photographs of these which mean that I can almost taste these cute little tartlettes... Am now craving good raspberry jam!

    I have apricot in the house at the mo', but somehow that's not going to quite hit the spot now I've seen these made with raspberry... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, your pictures are just EVIL! :) Now off to look- I'm sure I have some raspberry jam left...
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo good...just sooo good... I could reach right in the screen and take one...mmm... Thank you, Marie! LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sound fabulous! I just made Black Raspberry White Chocolate Bars last week and had to give them to a neighbor or I would have eaten every single one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmmm - it's lunchtime and I was looking forward to my healthy lunch and now I'm not so sure.

    I was listening to Radio 2 this morning and heard James Martin saying that pancake mixture should be left to stand for at least 10 minutes before cooking. I never knew that. In fact all pastries are best left to stand and then turned over before using. Something to do with gluten binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok Ok I'll make them:) Yum! I agree round is darn cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh yum!

    Wow. Will be trying this out. Thanks so much for sharing.

    Hope you are enjoying your day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those jam bars look so much yummier as circles. nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you must be the finest baker in the land!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUMMMMMMM! love that they are round and little too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm here to say they are Grrrreat:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. They'll do me nicely thanks ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I have made these numerous times..just did again..they weren't the same..OMGEE Marie I forgot the flour LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Monique! We all have those moments! You have made me smile! ♥☺♥

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!