Sweetheart Cherry Cupcakes

Monday 8 February 2010



Cupcakes are really popular these days. I think they always have been, but lately it seems they have been more popular than ever . . .

I mean . . . who wouldn't like a cupcake??? It's a tiny cake, just for you!!



All kinds of flavours. Filled. Iced or not, and usually covered with sprinkles of one variety or another.



I always make cupcakes for Valentines Day. I've done so since my children were small and they each wanted something to take to school for their class as a treat. Cupcakes were the logical choice as I could make tons and the kids could help me decorate them. They were also very easy to transport and didn't need cutting up when they got there. Each child had their own individual cake. What could be better??



Habits like Valentines Cupcakes are very hard to change. I still find myself baking them every year for the holiday, except now, I have no children here at home to give them to. Poor Todd ends up having to eat them all.

Poor Todd indeed. I've never seen a man suffer with so much pleasure before . . . in fact I think he's suffering right now!



*Sweetheart Cherry Cupcakes*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

Irresitable and utterly girly. You can tint the icing pink if you like. I prefer to keep it white though and then decorate them with all sorts of bits and baubles!

115g butter, at room temperature
115g caster sugar
2 large free range eggs
100g self raising flour
2 TBS milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
12 to 15 glace cherries, chopped

Vanilla buttercream:
140g icing sugar, sieved
2 TBS softened butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS milk

Decorations as desired

Pre-heat the oven to 175*c/350*f. Line a 12 cup medium muffin tin with paper cases. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar together for the cakes until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Fold in the flour along with the milk, and extracts. Mix until smooth. Stir in the chopped cherries. Divide the batter equally amongst the muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the centre of one comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely as soon as you can handle them. Don't allow them to sit in the muffin tin for too long or they will become soggy.

Once they are completely cooled, make the icing. Beat together the icing sugar, butter, vanilla and 1 TBS of the milk, until smooth and creamy, adding the additional TBS of milk only if needed.

Spread the frosting over the tops of the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with whatever decorations you wish to use, or leave plain.

11 comments

  1. I understand -- it's pink frosted sugar cookies here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot tell you just how much I enjoy your blog!!! Thank you! Paulette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking at these gorgeous cupcakes and Patrick looked over and said, "She is as much of a photographer as she is a chef". Beautiful! You are so incredibly talented in so many areas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cupcakes are a standard treat here With 6 children, it's an easy way to avoid the argument of "His piece was bigger than mine!" LOL
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul would LOVE one or two (or three knowing him) of those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE these, Marie! These are the cutest cupcakes ever--they look so beautiful and so tasty...mmm... Must makes these! Happy Day, dear friend... be feeling better soon :o) LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. EStupendas magdalenas. Gracias por la receta

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm I love the cherries inside! YUM!
    -Mini

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such cute little cupcakes. Love the idea of having a valentines tradition too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awful. Just awful. The quantities are way out, I ended up with 9 meagre cupcakes instead of 12, and because your butter icing recipe quotes TBS instead of an actual mass, I ended up wasting a batch as your tablespoons are clearly more akin to soup lades. Never again will I use your recipes.

    Yours aye,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say that I am sorry your cupcakes didn't turn out C. I cannot think why yours didn't turn out. As you can clearly see from my photographs that mine were perfect. I am not sure what your reference to my TBS being akin to soup ladles means, as my TBS are the regular ones that come in a set, with all of the measurements, from 1/2 tsp. on up to TBS. What kind of tablespoons do you use??? Perhaps your cupcake tins are larger than mine. When I say that I got 12 cupcakes, that is according to the tin I have. If you did not, that's not a reflection on the recipe, but on YOUR tin, which obviously has much larger cups. As any good baker knows, these things are subjective and go according to the size of your tin. Larger tin, less cakes. I contemplated not publishing your comment as it is rude and very combative, but then I thought . . . why not let my readers see. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and mine were very edible. A picture speaks a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!