Chocolate Hazelnut Palmiers

Sunday 1 August 2010



As a North American, I have a real love of sweet and salty/savoury combinations, which drive my British husband up the wall . . . You know what I mean . . . combinations like peanut butter and jam, potato crisps and chocolate, cheese and chutney . . . I'm sure you get the picture.



He equates eating such things on a scale of horror equivalent to eating the likes of fish and custard . . . together. Yikes!!

It is just not the same thing at all!! (although I do have to say that fish and a savoury herby and lemon custard would probably be quite nice!)



I cannot get enough of these sweet/savoury combinations and can often be found to munching on pretzels and chocolate, or peanut butter and jam sandwiches . . . which is perhaps why I look the way I do . . . because of the frequency of these snacks mind you, not because of the combinations . . .



I love, LOVE Chocolate Hazelnut spread. I just adore it. I bow down to it. It is delicious spread on Malted Milk biscuits and slowly scarfed down with an ice cold glass of milk. It is scrummy spread between rich layers of cake, any cake will do. (Try it with Lemon sometime, that is gorgeous!)



I thought I had just about exhausted what I could do with it actually until I had this wonderful brainstorm today.



Imagine puff pastry, spread to the edge with delicious chocolate spread, sprinkled with toasted chopped hazelnuts, rolled up, sliced, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and then baked until fabulously crunchy!!

Oh my but these are some good eating . . . perfect with a nice cuppa and a curl up with a book. Quick, easy and oh so scrumdiddlyumptious! Bet you can't eat just one!!




*Chocolate Hazelnut Palmiers*
Makes about 30
Printable Recipe

Delicious and addictively scrummy! Very simple to make and uses only a few ingredients.

Butter for greasing the pan
13 ounces of ready made puff pastry
(thaw if frozen)
plain flour for dusting the work surface
8 TBS chocolate hazelnut spread
(such as nutella)
75g (2 3/4 ounces) chopped toasted hazelnuts
2 TBS cinnamon sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Butter a large baking sheet and set aside.

Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured work surface to a recangle roughly 15 by 9 inches in diameter.

Spread the chocolate hazelnut spread all over the top of the pastry using a palette knife, and spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts evenly over top of the chocolate spread.

Starting at one long end, roll up one side of the pastry to the centre. Roll up the other side as well, so that they meet in the middle. Dampen the edges where they meet and join. Using a very sharp knife, cut into 30 slices crosswise. Transfer to the buttered baking sheet and flatten slightly with the palette knife. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar.

Bake in the heated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Scoop off onto a wire rack to cool. Enjoy!!

11 comments

  1. everything you make looks so good! im so glad you have this wonderful blog.
    blessings,
    aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made a good job of those Marie (as you always do with anything you make) they look delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds the perfect flavour combo to me Marie. I think I'd be more likely to eat the whole batch in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Çok çok çok güzel ve iştah açıcı. Ellerinize sağlık.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look absolutely yummy Marie! It looks like a good recipe to get the grandchildren involved in too! Love to you and Todd ~~~Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT is Fuat Gencal saying?

    I love palmiers, sweet or savoury, and your choccy ones sound very more-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unas palmeritas geniales, se ven estupendas. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look wonderful, Marie. I for one am a European who also loves sweet/savoury combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie, these are a favorite of my eldest son. He adores palmiers and I've made him hundreds of combinations, but for dessert, this is the one! Your pictures always make everything look amazing!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to make these. Like now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An English girl through and through, I have been totally converted to the sweet/savoury thing. Milk chocolate and ready salted crisps is one of my favourite things ever. It makes the chocolate more chocolatey and the salt more salty!
    And these palmiers look absolutely delicious. And so easy too. Will definitely have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!